fehdxl

Well Known Member
Warning: inquisitive lurker questions follow...

Are there any advantages from using a reamer vice a drill bit? For example, why would I use a #40 reamer vice a #40 drill bit when match drilling (reaming?) for a 3/32 rivet?

Also, does a reamed hole still need to be deburred?

Thank you for your time!

-Jim

Reaming give a much cleaner, rounder hole than drilling. It probably still needs deburring, but not as much. For rivet holes it probalbly doesn't make much difference, as the rivet expands to fill the hole, however I always like to use reamers on the holes I am putting bolts through as the hole is much rounder and fits the bolt better.

I've been using #40 and #30 reamers for all the prepunched holes in the empennage - it really does leave a cleaner / rounder hole. There is really very little to deburr - the burraway takes care of it quickly.

Thomas

thanks!

Thanks for the replies!
Two quick follow-on questions...
a) Do reamers wear out like drill bits?
b) If so, can reamers be re-sharpened?
Thanks again for your time!
-Jim

A) don't know - my #40 is doing fine after most of the empennage.

B) I would seriously doubt it, as dulling or wearing out seems like it would be wearing down of the flutes (you have to see what they look like) and hence a change in the diameter of the reamer.

I got mine from clearairtools.com

Thomas

Yes, reamers will dull just like drill bits and they can also be resharpened. Interestingly enough, there are things called "drill reamers" which are really nothing more than double margin piloted drills that use reamer geometry on the cutting edges! they make a very nice hole in one pass. They are quite common in the aircraft industry. -- Les