xblueh2o

Well Known Member
I am doing the initial fit up and metal work on my right elevator and I have a question for those that have gone before me. I searched the forums and didn't really find the answer nor did I find it in the several build sites I searched.
My question is this;
How are people drilling through the E-714 lead counterweight to end up correctly placing the holes in the E-703 and E-704 ribs? I can see where it would be quite easy to do it incorrectly and end up with problems. My first thought was to fit up the assembly, transfer marks from the pre-punched E-713 skin onto the E-714 counterbalance then break down the assembly and drill the counterweight by itself on the drill press. That will ensure the holes through the counterweight are straight. Rebuild the assembly and now mark the two ribs through the holes in the counterweight. Break the assembly down and drill the ribs.
Thoughts? Other procedures, tips, tricks?

Sounds like you did pretty much exactly what I was thinking about.
Glad to know it works.
I am still having slight alignment issues with the two ribs and the counterweight skin as you noted. I clearly need to spend more time getting that all squared away before I start drilling.
Thanks for the help.

I like this technique, though I did something different. My approach was to fit the counterweight in place, then clamp the rib + counterweight assembly to my bench, with the flanges of one rib against the table. By doing this, I could ensure that the rib face was level and steady. I then drilled the hole using a cordless drill with a built-in bubble level, so I had a reference to help keep the most critical direction straight and avoid any edge distance issues.

Of course, this only works if you have a drill with a level.

Also, be sure to use lots of lube and slow drill speed. I didn't do pilot holes, just did one hole at full size, and had no trouble with the drilling itself.