TShort

Well Known Member
I'm still a few weeks away from moving into the new shop and am running out of stuff to do without jigging the wings (fuel brackets, etc.). Anyone see a problem with drilling the ribs to the fuel tanks and leading edges without fitting to the wing first? If I could get that stuff drilled, deburred and dimpled I'd be closer to finishing when I jig the wings.

Thomas
-8 wings

I can't think of any reason why not to. That's the first step in building the leading edges and tanks anyway. The only thing I wouldn't do is try to drill the splice plate that goes between the tank and the LE to which you attach the platenuts. Having the LE tight down on the spar would probably give you more accurate results for that strip. Otherwise, I say go for it.

Also, if your plans are any like the -9's, I'd highly recommend riveting the LE before the tanks. It's kind of a "warm-up" for the proseal version you'll be doing with the tanks. Good luck.

Sure!

I don't see any problem with that at all. Like Alpine said, the splice plate is easier with the LE clecoed to the spar but other than that you could build the LE off the wing.

I recommend taking a good long look at the tank instructions, read it twice. Then, browse over to Dan Checkoways site to see how it should be done. Trust me, I tried Van's method on the first tank but found Dan's before I built the second, check out Dan's tank building method. You'll be glad you did.

Rat