pilot28906

Well Known Member
How difficult is it to drill out a tank rivet that has benn sitting for about a week (wet set)? I noticed one I drove on Friday has the shop head missing. Looks as if the shop head broke off right at the rib dimple hole. Does normal proceedures work OK? Any trouble getting the rivet out with the proseal set? I don't want to make matters worse but think this rivet probably needs to come out.

Thanks,

How difficult is it to drill out a tank rivet that has benn sitting for about a week (wet set)? I noticed one I drove on Friday has the shop head missing. Looks as if the shop head broke off right at the rib dimple hole. Does normal proceedures work OK? Any trouble getting the rivet out with the proseal set? I don't want to make matters worse but think this rivet probably needs to come out.

Thanks,

I assume its on the skin to baffle joint? Me personally, i would replace it. Shouldnt be a big deal as long as you DID put a bead of proseal along the inside joint per the plans. I'd drill it out, clean it up, and make sure you get some proseal under the mfg head of the rivet.

Non Issue...at least for me.

I had 4 missing shop heads on my tank (ugh!) that I missed initially and caught during my final inspection before closing up the tank. As Daniel said, make sure to clean the hole up and get plenty of sealant in and around the hole as well as the new rivet. Also, make sure you are not driving the rivet too long. I found that I was doing this and with a Tungsten bucking bar and a 3x rivet gun, those 3.5s mash pretty quick.

Last edited: