TShort

Well Known Member
Any suggestions for drilling the steel hinge brackets?

For example, on the inboard aileron bracket, there are two bolt holes. Tough to hold it in position with one cleco, tough to clamp it due to its shape. My real problem is with the drilling - the bit likes to chatter and leave a crappy hole. I've tried progressively increasing the size, using lots of boelube, etc. I guess the best way would be to clamp each part in the drill press and drill that way. I managed to get all the brackets drilled acceptably last night, but was wondering if anyone had tips to make enlarging holes in the steel parts easier.

Thanks
Thomas
-8 ailerons

Drilling

If you're drilling an exsisting hole, an easy way of doing it it with a VRS drill (variable speed) Put the drill to the hole and turn slowly, with little pressure. Once the "path" is established the bit will follow the contour of the hole, at which time apply even pressure. Do not stall the drill motor, just go easily. Keep drill speed low. A drill press would be best with the part to be drilled in a rigid position. Be sure the drill bit is sharp with proper angle.
Good luck.