bret

Well Known Member
As much as I hate to do this mod, I think it will make the forward spar much more attached to the fuse. The forward spar is only held on by 16 rivets by way of HS 714 and then on to the sheet metal forward spar. The mod captures HS 710 (upper angle) and more than doubles the amount of rivets grabbing the forward spar.

MOD1_zpsf0d7f095.jpg

I have successively removed the HS 404 and 405 ribs today:D the hardest part was drilling from the rear towards the front to remove the rivets that hold the 404 and 405 together. I used a 12 in 40 drill, flex with a rag holding the bit perpendicular to the flange 3/4 the way through, drilled the manufactured head slightly with a 30, took a sharp wood chisel to remove the head, took a 16 nail turned down to fit in the 40 hole, taped to the rivet gun on 20 psi, taped a nut on my tungsten bucking bar for the back stop dolly and pulled the trigger ever so slightly. Clean holes! I got the procedure idea from Walt's post but had to come up with an idea to do this single handed.

So if you did the HS like me, the manifactured heads are facing rear, and HS 405 is installed so that it is dificult to drill, I had to bend the 12inch 40 drill while drilling to get a straight shot in the MH of the rivet. These are the tools I used. Kinda back yardish but it worked.

DSC04414_zpsdc0b2845.jpg

Good Man

You made the right decision and you'll never have to wonder about any 'what if's". Van's has been proactive here and I support those who choose to do the mod. Please update us as to your progress. Good Man!!!

I have lost track of those who do and do not have cracks - are you doing this because you have cracks, or as a preventive measure ?

Not flying yet, preventive measure only. I think this is a weak point in the HS. Going to beef it up with the SB. If you look at the lower angle, there are only four rivets going into each side of the HS, four more inboard but I look at it as only 4 rivets holding each side of the forward spar onto the fuse! kinda scary!

Off topic ... just curious what the PVC pipe on the front of your bench in the background is for.

AWw sharp eye grasshopper. That is my milti port shop vac manifold, runs down the 20 Ft length of my garage. Pull a cap and plug in the hose for the band saw or what ever.

Sounds pretty cool - can you give more details / pics, etc? Is it connected to a standard shop vac?

Might like to set up something similar.

Thanks

great idea......or.......

AWw sharp eye grasshopper. That is my milti port shop vac manifold, runs down the 20 Ft length of my garage. Pull a cap and plug in the hose for the band saw or what ever.

....multi-port cold beverage dispenser????? ( never more than a few steps from crucial rehydration/refreshment!!!) :D

... And does the caution sign in the background really say "Uneven Cracks"? How appropriate! :p

LOL

... And does the caution sign in the background really say "Uneven Cracks"? How appropriate! :p

You guys crack me up! Sorry, couldn't resist. Actually it's "uneven tracks". Funny.

Bret
Sweetie and I are serious Nascar fans but it's not a Nascar jack. I wish.
It's a 2 ton low profile aluminum HF. Our team used it when I drove race cars.

The Coke machine is a family heirloom I finally got restored. We get so few visitors up here so anyone visiting please hit me up for a visit and bring a quarter!

You guys crack me up! Sorry, couldn't resist. Actually it's "uneven tracks". Funny.

Bret
Sweetie and I are serious Nascar fans but it's not a Nascar jack. I wish.
It's a 2 ton low profile aluminum HF. Our team used it when I drove race cars.

The Coke machine is a family heirloom I finally got restored. We get so few visitors up here so anyone visiting please hit me up for a visit and bring a quarter!

Nice website! How is your leg doing? And now you have to tell us about your race car stuff!

Leg

Nice website! How is your leg doing? And now you have to tell us about your race car stuff!

Hey thanks and thanks for asking. The leg is pretty good. I'm done with doctor visits and almost have full use again. It's amazing what they can fix with titanium these days.

I think I've hijacked your thread.
I drove hobby stuff. 24 Hours of Lemons (86 Mustang) for a couple years then we sold the car and moved to Chump (89 Miata). Both are national circuits for low budget racing. Basically each is an endurance race. 9 hours Saturday, 7 hours Sunday. Cars are supposed to be no higher value than $500 excluding safety equipment. Non stop except for gas and driver change.
Actually they are pretty competitive. Tony Stewart drove a car one race.
It was fun and the team is still strong but I wanted to build an airplane and racing is expensive.

Hey thanks and thanks for asking. The leg is pretty good. I'm done with doctor visits and almost have full use again. It's amazing what they can fix with titanium these days.

I think I've hijacked your thread.
I drove hobby stuff. 24 Hours of Lemons (86 Mustang) for a couple years then we sold the car and moved to Chump (89 Miata). Both are national circuits for low budget racing. Basically each is an endurance race. 9 hours Saturday, 7 hours Sunday. Cars are supposed to be no higher value than $500 excluding safety equipment. Non stop except for gas and driver change.
Actually they are pretty competitive. Tony Stewart drove a car one race.
It was fun and the team is still strong but I wanted to build an airplane and racing is expensive.

A $500 race car? A carburetor is more than 500? Sounds like fun.