tx_jayhawk

Well Known Member
I'm curious if others consider it "acceptable" to drill standard Adel clamps from 3/16 to 1/4 attach holes (for use on 1/14 bolts FW FWD)? It doesn't seem like you would want to drill any bigger, but it seems like 1/4 is okay?

Thanks,
Scott

I did quite a bit of that, and they all seem to be holding up just fine. FWIW a small Unibit is the best way to open up the hole.

Why would you want to? Many of the case bolts at 1/4, and there are places where it is handy to attach an Adel to a case bolt, for example where the alternator wires run under #s 2 and 4.

Last edited:
Yep!

Why would you want to? Many of the case bolts at 1/4, and there are places where it is handy to attach an Adel to a case bolt, for example where the alternator wires run under #s 2 and 4.
You are right about that.... I was thinking, clamp to clamp like over a motor mount.

IT MUST BE LATE......... :rolleyes: .........nite all!;)

It's acceptable, you can buy them that way. Can't remember where I got mine from tho, might have been Osh, might have been my hangar mate.:confused:

Larry

Thanks all. The reason as Jeff points out is that it seems convenient to use the 1/4" engine case bolts (with adel clamps) to route things like alternator/starter wire.

I'll keep on keepin on...

Thanks,
Scott

Similar enough...

If you started off with a MS2133 cushioned clamp (the one without a joggle at the mounting area), then you have just changed it's "dash" number only.

Both the 3/16 hole and the 1/4 hole versions are made identically and have a 1/2 metal strap width. However, the larger mounting hole versions do have a wider strap width...

Some details here.... thanks to GaHco...

http://www.gen-aircraft-hardware.com/images/pdf/LoopClamps.pdf

gil A

Thanks Gil

If you started off with a MS2133 cushioned clamp (the one without a joggle at the mounting area), then you have just changed it's "dash" number only.

Both the 3/16 hole and the 1/4 hole versions are made identically and have a 1/2 metal strap width. However, the larger mounting hole versions do have a wider strap width...

Some details here.... thanks to GaHco...

http://www.gen-aircraft-hardware.com/images/pdf/LoopClamps.pdf

gil A

I think Gil knows a lot about most everything.

We do keep the popular sizes of the MS21333 clamps with both the "3/16 mount and the 1/4" mount, which are typically used for harness routing or other thing attaching in some way directly to the engine.

Anyone else, if you are looking for aluminum 3/16 mount hole use the ms21919's they are the most common, bought in higher volumes and therefore more economical.

If you have a fuel injected Lyc make sure the injector line clamps are the steel ones, and the clamps that go on the pushrod tubes are steel also.