HighSchoolBuilders

Well Known Member
HELP! Newbie mistake, I tried to match drill 3 pieces of materials but one of them end up with less than minimum distance (See photo). I have done some research on previous posts and seems like the recommended method is to drill and rivet elsewhere on the piece with respect to edge/pitch distance. Will two additional holes/rivets be enough? Previous post recommend NOT to fill the old hole, would that apply to my case?

I am working on an RV-7, Page 6-3, Step 16

Many Thanks!
Hank
RV7 Empennage

IMG_1270.jpg

Further investigation....

Just removed the piece from the assembly and realized the other two holes that I drilled is enlarged.

The piece, in my rookie opinion, would be a scrap, but would like to hear from the experienced if the piece is repairable and what would be the recommended methods. I learned from Sportair Workshop that I can use a larger size rivet with respect to pitch and edge distance. Is there any other ways to recover the piece without using larger size rivets?

Many Thanks!
Hank

img_1272.jpg

That piece is only about 13.00 (ask me how I know)..I'd just buy a new one with those two issues.

If you are really good with a rivet gun, use just a tad longer rivet and when you buck you could should be able to fill the hole with the rivet. I would only suggest this if you are good with a rivet gun.

As for the edge distance, you may be better off buying a new piece. Don't reccommend filling the hole.

You can also cut off the flange, and rivet a new L -shaped piece on. If edge distance is a problem, another rivet can be added too.

L.Adamson --- RV6A

Thanks all for the quick answer! It's really driving me nut, it's my first major mistake and I am trying to get the most of out of this mistake.

Short of buying a new piece, I tried drilling two additional holes between the originals with edge/pitch complied. If I rivet three holes and leave the 'edge distance non-compliance' hole unfilled, and one of the enlarged hole filled with a "tad" long rivet as suggested by MNAV8or, would that be a proper fix? It's not pretty, but would like to know if that is an acceptable method for future reference.

Thanks a lot for all the replies!
Hank

img_1273.jpg

Thanks all for the quick answer! It's really driving me nut, it's my first major mistake and I am trying to get the most of out of this mistake.

Short of buying a new piece, I tried drilling two additional holes between the originals with edge/pitch complied. If I rivet three holes and leave the 'edge distance non-compliance' hole unfilled, and one of the enlarged hole filled with a "tad" long rivet as suggested by MNAV8or, would that be a proper fix? It's not pretty, but would like to know if that is an acceptable method for future reference.

Thanks a lot for all the replies!
Hank

img_1273.jpg

Take a look at my fix... I had a similar problem... so I cut the entire flange off, and riveted on a new one. Click the pics to see a bigger idea pic of what I'm talking about.

http://danielhv.com/?p=126

if you do a better search you'll find someone who did the same thing. they called vans, and if i recall correctly (so don't use me as the reason for following this advice)- vans said if you rivet either the three or four holes you have now it will be fine. They said something to the effect of those aren't particularly important rivets in the overall scheme of the HS strength.

sorry i can't find it for you now, i've got to get to work, but maybe if you do some good searchs on HS, horizontal stabilizer, horz stab, etc you'll find it.

good luck!

I see no need to order a new part. Either use the two additional holes or best yet, rivet on a new flange or angle as mentioned.

Thanks Thanks Thanks!

Thanks for all the pointers and PMs! Here's my repair work on the flange, I took the advice of building a new flange, looks good so far, just hope it will fit well with the other components!

Cheers!
Hank

R0011023.jpg

R0011024.jpg

Looks to me to be an acceptable way of doing this. If it's any consolation, many of us make this exact mistake in the exact same location. I was just very lucky because I eyeballed it and didn't blow the edge distance. If I were doing this part again, I'd use an angle drill and go from the edge distance critical side inward.

I think that's a spot in the instructions that could use a little improvement. It'd be better to drill from the nose rib flange backwards, as then you're just hitting the center of the main rib flange where you can't go wrong. I pondered those holes for a day or 2 before drilling them from the nose rib back and they came out as intended.