skyfrog

Well Known Member
From reading the forums, it sounds like a drill press would make a great addition for my ever growing tool collection. But I'm not sure about the size and which manufacturer.

Home Depot has a 10" Ryobi bench model for $99. Lowes has a Delta 12" for $179. Would the 10" suffice or do I need a larger model? Is the laser guide an important gadget? How do the Grizzly models compare?

Any advice is appreciated...

Thanks,

John Edwards
Getting closer to ordering RV-9A
Tool Gathering - Building EAA workbenches this weekend.

I'm using a 12" Craftsman drill press. The laser is about useless ... I always have to guide the bits by sight. I wish the press had more than one speed, but even still I consider it a critical tool. My hands just aren't steady enough.

-Rick

Drill press

Grizzly models are good quality. I have gone to the showrooms and they are very nice. If space is availible, get a standing floor model like a 12". They are around 300 bucks. It will do everything you need to build a plane. Sometimes the 10" is just not enough and doesn't have a big enough work platform. Aden Rich

Don't go cheap on this tool

Don't go cheap on this tool - I consider it essential. I even used mine for counter boring a bearing recess in a replacement aileron bracket. I bought a Craftsman from Sears for around $200 ten years ago and it worked fine. Clamp the work down when location is critical.

Bob Axsom

IMHO the utility of the drill press is dependent on speed just as much as size.

If you want to use a fly-cutter for cutting large holes, then look for something that will go down to 250 RPM or less.

skyfrog said:
From reading the forums, it sounds like a drill press would make a great addition for my ever growing tool collection.

Thanks,

John Edwards

Sears has their 15" Craftsman floor model drill press on a special "Craftsman Club" sale for about another week. It is normally $319.00, now it's $239.00.
This model has a useless laser, but it has a very nice keyless chuck which closes down to the smallest drill bits you can use. The chuck is perfectly true with no runout.
Some of the benchtop models only have a 2" throw, and you will need and want more than that. You also want to be able to run about 300 rpm at the low end for using a fly cutter, and around 3000 rpm or better at the high end for regular drilling in aluminum.
That's my.02 worth!

Almost any will do!

I am using a $40 Harbor Freight drill press with great success. It is small (table-top) and you can move it around - providing a larger work area (my problem). It is variable speed by changing the belt location on the pulley. It is not suitable for building a watch, but for airplane parts, works great.

If money and workspace are no issues, buy one you can use for many other projects, years after you are done with the plane.

Rashid Ansarie
RV7A
Tail done, almost.

I bought the Ryobi bench model 3 years ago and I have never had a problem with any drilling for building an RV-10. It is smooth and easy to adjust. Regardless, a drill press is a necessity.

skyfrog said:
From reading the forums, it sounds like a drill press would make a great addition for my ever growing tool collection. But I'm not sure about the size and which manufacturer.

Home Depot has a 10" Ryobi bench model for $99. Lowes has a Delta 12" for $179. Would the 10" suffice or do I need a larger model? Is the laser guide an important gadget? How do the Grizzly models compare?

Thanks,

John Edwards

Home Depot has sold a couple of Ryobi drill presses over the last couple of years. I have one, the slowest speed is about 600 rpm. It's ok for small bits with thin aluminum, but as pointed out, if you want to fly-cut holes, or use it for other projects that are made of steel for example, it's not slow enough. Eventually I'm going to buy a bigger (slower) model. Just my experience...

Speaking of Home Depot, they are getting rid of all of their large demonstration model tools. In the future, they won't have actual assembled large tools in the store, they will just have a picture of the bandsaw, tablesaw, or drill press.

Which means that if your local Depot hasn't already unloaded all of their assembled tools, you can buy 'em for at least 20% off.

They have a nice 15" Ridgid drill press. But not at my local store. They don't have a 14" Ridgid bandsaw either. I have both of 'em in my shop now...

Anyway, the drillpress is a nice piece of equipment, and a good deal if you can get the floor demo model.

Get a floor model. Sometimes it is really useful to be able to pull it out in the middle of the shop. Plus the chips don't foul everything on your bench.

Go for mass, in particular a large floor shoe, a stout drill table, and a large backbone tube.

Speed adjustment is a big deal. Spend money for a wide speed range and fast changes; you'll get it back with what you save on unburned bits and ruined work.

Make sure the table has a crank to adjust height and a fast clamp. Makes table height adjustment so much easier. Accuracy increases if you adjust for minimum extension of the quill...which you won't do if table adjustment is a pain.

When you go to the store, take along a 12" length of 3/8 drill rod and a good square. Chuck the drill rod and check that the table is perpendicular. The table mounting bore may not be parallel to the drill axis. Same for the bore where the head mounts to the backbone. Good time to check for wobble in the chuck too.

I'm looking to buy a high end ($1200-$2400) machine shop grade drill press to replace my old multi-speed Jet press. Does anybody have any experience on good production brands and where to buy?

This is probably one place I really went overboard, but I'm glad I did as it's been useful for many other things besides the aircraft project.

Instead of regular drill press, I bought a benchtop mill from MicroMark. This works like a high precision drill press, but adding a set of end mills turns it into something else entirely. I've milled out brackets and other small parts for my plane as well as other things around the house.

As I recall the whole thing was about $800 or so three years ago.

Ryobi is a low price brand. Athough one poster is happy with his Ryobi drill press, I wouldn't consider it a high quality brand. Rigid is better. Craftsman is better. Delta is better. Grizzly is better.

Wide speed range is very useful.

Thanks

Thanks for the help...I almost made a mistake getting the higher speed bench top Ryobi. (I plan on using it for larger holes and I need the slower speed).

I like the Rigid model at Home Depot, but the showroom floor model was not for sale. I'll be looking at the Grizzly and Delta more closely for their features. (Sorry, I can't stand Sears brands anymore).

Thanks for setting me straight on this topic...you saved me from buying an inadequate tool. Of course, now I have to buy a more expensive tool.

John Edwards
Tool Gathering for RV9A - Slider
Built EAA workbench yesterday

rigid!!!

MichRV10 said:
Check out Ridge from Home Depot good price and quality with lifetime warranty.

3135F

I agree here.. I have the Ridgid floor model from home depot..When I bought it, I thought it had the most bang for the buck...I love it.

Tom

Last edited:
It must be Christmas

Kyle Boatright said:
Speaking of Home Depot, they are getting rid of all of their large demonstration model tools.

Update...

After looking for sales and used drill presses in the paper I was ready to give up and buy one at retail price. The Home Depot web site offered the $279 Ridgid model for $251.10. (Shipping is $150). So I tried to see if the local Home Depots would match the web site price, but they would not.

Then I tried one more Home Depot in my area and asked about matching. They said, "Oh, we just maked down the demo model this morning to $150".

It must be Christmas...

John

Last edited:
Craftsmand 15 inch 12 spd Drill Press is frustration

I'm so mad at my Craftsman drill press I just need to say so.
In 2007 when I started my RV-7A I bought the floor standing 15", 12 speed Craftsman drill press with lasers from Sears. I went on the Craftsman brand reputation, but sadly it is ****. Yes, the lasers are useless. But so also is the spindle and this whole drill press. From day one there has been too much wobble in the drill. I've replaced the spindle 3 times, with no improvement. I've bought a book on tuning your press and implemented all the suggestions. It measures about 0.011 wobble which is just not precise enough for drilling aluminum. Good for wood I guess. I have never been happy. Should have returned it within the first year. Now I'm going to punt it out the back door and buy a new bench drill press. I suppose I didn't pay enough for quality. The Craftsman was on sale for about $289 and I suppose my criticism isn't fair given the low price. But it was $289 wasted. I haven't seen the need for a floor model and my other bench drill press has no wobble. To me the most important aspect of the drill press is that it spins accurately with no wobble.

Are you measuring the "wobble" on a piece of round stock that is chucked? If so, I would measure the runout on the vertical rotating section that the chuck is fastened to. It could be a bad chuck. That is easily replaceable.

Wow, this is a thread from the deep dark past.
I've always been happy with my american made Clausing :). But then came along Bridgeport and the drill press spends a lot more time idle.

Wow, this is a thread from the deep dark past.
I've always been happy with my american made Clausing :). But then came along Bridgeport and the drill press spends a lot more time idle.

Name dropper.

Steve, If you can build an airplane you can fix this drill press. Yes, likely the chuck is threaded on and/or bent. It could the the shaft, or the chuck. I have seen both. Travers has chucks. The local machine shop (or scard) could true up the shaft, or just replace. Likely it fell over on it's nose. I am betting the end of the shaft is bent.

2006 to 2016 ain't nothin' AND it can still be repaired and useful.

My Dad had a very old Craftsman 15" floor drill press and the chuck would slip. It needed the "proper" key. Finally 40+ years later I retired and had cause to learn about the design, dimensions of chucks, keys, and disassembly. I studied it with new eyes and the geared sleeve (pressed on) was axially offset, yielding a situation where no key would fit. Pressed it back in place and all fixed. Of the hundreds of bits he had, every one had burrs from slippage. Sad he had passed away before I got it repaired, but at least I spent visiting time with him and not working on tools.

Last edited:
I had two HF drill presses and both produced slop in carriage assembly (no replaceable bushings - bad design). I ended up getting a really nice 50 year old Delta drill press on craigslist for $100. Built like a tank and allows oil into the critical areas to keep tolerences in line. Angles are perfect from the factory with no adjustments provided or needed.

Larry

Mine's a Jet-13R, old but robust.

I like the multiple speeds and use that capability a lot.

Mine is a bench one and I'd have preferred a floor one.

One feather that I'd like which it doesn't have is a lock on the up/down slide. It would help certain set-ups.

Dave

I have a very cheap floor type drill press and it is just that "cheap" I also have a Grizzley table top milling machine which is also cheap as far as mills go. With that said the Grlzzley mill works aluminum pretty good and has made the difference between doing a passable job on some parts and doing a professional
job that I am proud of.

Yesterday I bought a 10" Craftsman from Ace Hardware for $159. So far have used it on two steps and seems to be working great. Wasn't interested in the $70 HF special or a high end press. Time will tell if I keep liking the thing.

Fixes on Drill Press

Ok thanks to your encouragement and my wife's I read a bunch of stuff about fixing wobble on the web and YouTube. So tonight I took the spindle out and the chuck off the spindle. I cleaned them with acetone including inside and out. Previously I had cleaned them with oil. That was the mistake. Secret is clean with acetone not oil product. I cleaned perfectly. Learned that today. Then I also cleaned and lubricated inside the chuck with Boelube. I also turned the components together checking for burs before putting them together. Finally put it all back together and measured the wobble. I measured with several drill bits and average was 0.004. (4 thousandths). Smaller drill bits had higher wobble values. That's exceptable. To prove it I drilled 3/4" lightening holes in the battery box top.

Thanks, no longer for sale. :) :D

Buy old!

My suggestion on drill presses is buy an old one. I'm kind of a drill press nut. I have over 10 of them. Floor models, bench top. The only good ones are the old ones. Not only are they good, but you get them cheap. People are practically giving them away. A $50 1940s drill press will last you the rest of your life. Clean it up and your are ready to go. Craftsman, atlas, delta and a bunch of others are all great machines. Craig's list is a great place to find them, also eBay. Fazio's 2 cents.

My suggestion on drill presses is buy an old one. I'm kind of a drill press nut. I have over 10 of them. Floor models, bench top. The only good ones are the old ones. Not only are they good, but you get them cheap. People are practically giving them away. A $50 1940s drill press will last you the rest of your life. Clean it up and your are ready to go. Craftsman, atlas, delta and a bunch of others are all great machines. Craig's list is a great place to find them, also eBay. Fazio's 2 cents.

I second this. However, sometimes it takes a while to find what you are looking for. You also have to know what to look for, like run out, etc...
You don't even need a drill press for an RV kit but they are sure handy, so practically anything will work.
I HATE CHEAP TOOLS!

Don't go cheap on this tool - I consider it essential. I even used mine for counter boring a bearing recess in a replacement aileron bracket. I bought a Craftsman from Sears for around $200 ten years ago and it worked fine. Clamp the work down when location is critical.

Bob Axsom

I went cheap from Harbor Freight and reget it. RIP Bob.

Last edited:
The Yard Store and others have nice keyless chucks for a reasonable price, like $40. CdCoTools has larger ones. A keyless chuck is a very nice feature. There is a youtube channel called "this old tony" (which is hilarious) where he takes a cheapo drill press and fixes it up very nicely to work well. Worth it to see what the guts look like and what to look out for.

I have a cheap benchtop drill press with an aftermarket chuck and am pretty happy with it.

The Yard Store and others have nice keyless chucks for a reasonable price, like $40. CdCoTools has larger ones. A keyless chuck is a very nice feature. There is a youtube channel called "this old tony" (which is hilarious) where he takes a cheapo drill press and fixes it up very nicely to work well. Worth it to see what the guts look like and what to look out for.

I have a cheap benchtop drill press with an aftermarket chuck and am pretty happy with it.

Mmmm.. Leave off the "reasonable price" part and you're left with one word: Albrecht

I have tools that I can work in harmony with and tools that I just do battle with. The latter are most often "cheap" and are the first on the chopping block to be cut up and welded back together for some one-off need.

Building an airplane is just a really good reason to buy tools :).