I just drilled the rivet holes for attaching the main ribs to the main wing spar web, inboard of station 55, (behind where the fuel tank attaches), and noticed that I carelessly allowed the drill bit to punch through on each hole and bang against the backside of the web doubler. This made tiny little divets in the back of doubler at each hole, very similar to a centerpunch mark, but very small. Don't think this will effect the strength of the spar itself, of course, but I started to wonder about cracks possible forming at these points eventually, with long term flexing and vibration. I have come up with a plan for polishing these marks out (it won't be easy) if necessary. Is this something I should be losing sleep over, or not?

Someone on this site quite a while ago pointed out that we're building small kit planes, not F/A 18's. I personally wouldn't loose sleep over it, but that's just my opinion. Good to see another -4 being built in the area, welcome to VAF.

pictures would be helpful

You do not want any stress risers on the spars. Pics would help, and an email or call to Vans with pics emailed to them may be in order. Don't take chances with the spars.

Joe and Jim, thanks for the input. After doing a little research, I don't think it's an issue, particularly with the overbuilt RV-4 wing. I just wanted to make sure. By the way, a kit plane can kill me just as dead as an F-18...

Chris

Millionrivets said:
By the way, a kit plane can kill me just as dead as an F-18...

I was just pointing out exactly what you said, the rv-4 wing is overbuilt... if your wing falls off because of a few nicks from a drill scratch, then I should be expecting my entire aircraft to explode at any time. :rolleyes: