Dean

I am looking for the drill bushing for the horizontal stabilzer. Posts show the bushing to be 1/4"OD x 3/32" ID. McMaster Carr does not offer a bushing with those dimensions. Is the critical dimension the 1/4" because that fits into the center pivot. Can the inside ID be any dimension. Use it as a pilot hole and then drill it out to the correct dimension.

McMaster Carr offers alot of bushings but with either 1/4" OD or 3/32" ID but not together as a combination.

I just made one from the Aviation Dept at B&B hardware. I did mine this way:

I got some 1/4" aluminum dowel from the hardware store. Steel works too, but it'll take longer. Then I cut it to lenght, short enough for the drill bit, but long enough to touch the control horn while inserted in the bearing. Then I chucked it in the drill press and ran some emery cloth or sandpaper on it until it fit nicely in the bearing. Then I got a piece of 4x4, put it on the drill press, and drilled a 1/4" inch hole in it deep enough to almost bury the length of cut dowel. Inserted the dowel, then put a #40 bit in the drill press and drilled down through the center of the dowel. It's a couple of extra steps, but it's cheap. The only thing you need to make sure of is that the drill press is lined up and that it doesn't move while changing bits. It did take a couple of tries before I got one I totally trusted, but it worked fine.

The idea is to keep the drill bit perpendicular and aligned to the hole in the bearing so the bolt doesn't stress it when the elevators move. As far as I know.

Dean if you have a friend with a lathe, that bushing can be made from a bolt in less time than it takes to talk about it.
If you don't have any luck, get back to me and I'll help you out.

Randy Hooper

Can the inside ID be any dimension. Use it as a pilot hole and then drill it out to the correct dimension.
Yes, that will work just fine. Alternatively, to save yourself $$, just use a small piece of quarter inch O.D. aluminum fuel tubing that you already have and use whatever size drill bit fits into the tubing to drill the pilot hole. Hope this helps.

Thanks for the suggestions. It sounds like the 1/4" dimension is the important one and the 3/32" dimension is just a pilot. Randy, how would you make one from a bolt? Would you drill the center of the bolt out? I don't have a lathe but am curious to see what you are talking about.

Dean

Use the plastic hose that you get for the fuel pump vent. outside dia. is 1/4 inch, than take a size drill and insert for snug fit, drill. When done drill out to the 1/4 size needed.

I am looking for the drill bushing for the horizontal stabilzer.
eBay can be a treasure trove if you know how to look for stuff. Even if you cannot find the specific item you are looking for, occasionally an e-mail to a likely vendor selling his wares on the site can yield surprising results. Over the years I have done a fair amount of repair work and have added several steel bushings to my collection, many acquired from obscure sellers on eBay. Sorry, mine are not for sale.

aekz7l.jpg

9j1u2q.jpg

Don't stress out

I am looking for the drill bushing for the horizontal stabilzer. Posts show the bushing to be 1/4"OD x 3/32" ID. McMaster Carr does not offer a bushing with those dimensions. Is the critical dimension the 1/4" because that fits into the center pivot. Can the inside ID be any dimension. Use it as a pilot hole and then drill it out to the correct dimension.

McMaster Carr offers alot of bushings but with either 1/4" OD or 3/32" ID but not together as a combination.

Hi Dean,

Just go to your local hardware store and find an aluminum screw spacer with a 1/4" OD in the small bins in the hardware isle. Chuck the spacer in your drill and clamp a 3/32" bit in your vise. Spin the spacer with the drill and feed it onto the drill bit with some lube.

Thanks for the suggestions. It sounds like the 1/4" dimension is the important one and the 3/32" dimension is just a pilot. Randy, how would you make one from a bolt? Would you drill the center of the bolt out? I don't have a lathe but am curious to see what you are talking about.

Dean

Dean, I suggested a bolt because it is a common junk drawer item. The 1/4" dimension is already correct. All you have left is cut the shank and bore the center. The lathe makes it easier to find the center with a drill.

Randy Hooper

Go to your local auto store and ask for a piece of 1/4" brake line tubing. This fit my bearing nicely. It came with connectors on each end, which, when I cut off a 1 1/2" piece of the tubing just slid off. Use whichever drill bit fits best from your index and you're done. Cost about $2. The piece I bought was about 18" long. I took a caliper with me to check the measurement and trued up the tubing with a little emery cloth to get the fit.

Brake line tubing

Is awesome stuff!

I used 3/8thd tubing flattened both ends, drilled holes and mounted my oil cooler off the engine mount with it..

A little off topic, but it really is wonderful for all sorts of odd jobs..:)

Frank