grantcarruthers

Well Known Member
Just wanted to pass on a cheap solution I found this weekend.

Just about to drill the horns on the elevators where they attach to each other via the HS bearing and needed a guide to fit inside the bearing and protect it while drilling the pilot hole in the elevator horns.

Found a nylon spacer at Ace (aviation dept of course) for $0.17. 3/4 inch long, OD 1/4, with ID .115 if I remember correct. Bought a pair of 7/64 (.109) bits and was OTD for 4 dollars even. The spacer fits TIGHT in the bearing, is long enough, and the bits fit with no play. Haven't used it yet but looks good so far.

PS, would have bought a proper drill guide but didn't want to wait for shipping.

Grant

Sorry to bump this, but what department in the hardware store should i be looking for this bushing? Is it windows, electrical, plumbing, or something totally unrelated? I just got back from our local store (B & B in Culver City) and I couldn't find anything remotely like this, except for those straight plastic wall anchors, which I don't trust. A nylon bushing with that configuration sounds like screen door hardware or an appliance part, but I can't find it.

Any info is much appreciated.

-john

our ace has ehem by the bolts. IN the boxes with the specialty stuff like grommets roll pins etc.

I would recommend waiting to drill these holes until you have the tail up on the fuselage (no reason to do it before then). At that point, you should have a lot of extra 1/4" alum. tube used for your fuel vent or pitot lines. Fits nicely in the bearing and all you have to do is find the size of bit that fits the i.d. of the line. Good luck.

John Courte said:
Sorry to bump this, but what department in the hardware store should i be looking for this bushing? Is it windows, electrical, plumbing, or something totally unrelated? I just got back from our local store (B & B in Culver City) and I couldn't find anything remotely like this, except for those straight plastic wall anchors, which I don't trust. A nylon bushing with that configuration sounds like screen door hardware or an appliance part, but I can't find it.

Any info is much appreciated.

-john

John,

I found mine in the hardware section. Most hardware stores have a section that is devoted to little drawers of misc hardware. That's where I found mine.

Guy

God Bless America!...OT

Threads like these cause me to ponder what its like back home in England.

Sadly almost nowhere you go will you find the little draws of nic nacks that we homebuilders have come to rely on.

No what you find is....Nothing like the little bushes etc...you will find bolts, but only in packets of ten or more and then the range is extremely limited.

No springs, sintered bushings, allen wrenches sold individually etc.

Its a pain!...I had a nice car where the spring had broken in the brake master cylinder...No problem, I could find a spring for less than a buck "Over here"...Over there the only option was a new master cylinder!

Everytime I go to Ace for a "thingy" I am so grateful!

Cheers

Frank

Perfect timing, ,or at least perfect timing for the bump. I'm at the emp mnt stage of my fuse and was pondering what to do about The lack of a bushing. I have an Ace Hardware within biking distance too.