WingedFrog

Well Known Member
To tap the aft window screw holes into the roll bar you need to match drill them with a #36 bit, a quite uncommon size for regular hardware / auto supplies stores. Although the Avery RV-12 tool kit includes a number of drill bits, this one is not included. Not a big deal but I find it ridiculous to have to order online and pay $7 of shipping and handling for a $1 part. It should be part of the tool kit.

Check the phone book for a local machine shop. They should have a #36 drill you might be able buy.

Steve

Thanks Steve, as I said in my post, not a big deal, I just wanted to warn other builders so that they have an opportunity to order this bit with the tool kit or with other online procurement to optimize the shipment cost. Now if Avery is reading this, they could also add this missing bit in their RV-12 tool kit if the care.

Drill Bits

I have found that a good hardware store sells numbered bits. Might save the transportation costs.
Paul

RV 120495

Aircraft Components and Equipment

ACE hardware has numbered drill bits. You are in a large port and should have an ACE nearby. They've saved me a couple of times.

Just a hint, order (or pick up at Oshkosh) a bunch of extra 30's and 40's. I replace quickly if I feel any hint of drag. A good bit is much easier to use!!

Early on I forsaw that I would either break a bit or lose one, a trip to the Harbor Freight Aviation Department gets you a whole set, up to number 60 for only $19.99. Has helped me several times in the build, good drill bits too.
24y38uv.jpg
[/IMG]

Now if Avery is reading this, they could also add this missing bit in their RV-12 tool kit if the care.

OR, come Monday morning, you could give them a call and say it should be added to the kit. They are always happy to add items that are really needed--they sell more stuff. I found them very happy to put together a complete kit for a group build.

Bob

Early on I forsaw that I would either break a bit or lose one, a trip to the Harbor Freight Aviation Department gets you a whole set, up to number 60 for only $19.99. Has helped me several times in the build, good drill bits too.

Not so sure about them being good bits. I destroyed 2 HF bits drilling the stabilator counterweight shaft. I have a set for the occasional odd size hole but for regular use I went to high end only.

I remember missing this drill, but the good news is it gave me an excuse to make a trip to the hardware store;)

For the benefit of saving that trip for future builders, I agree that you should contact Avery about including one in the kit.

My experience with Bob Avery, since I was one of the early builders, was that when one of us made a suggestion to include something else in the kit Bob would take care of it immediately. He wants to make his tool kit as good and complete as it can be.

Bob is tops in customer service to the RV gang. Stop by his booth at OSH or SnF and tell him so.

Granger industrial supply has them...not to far from your house, off Capitol, north of the beltline, south of I540.