Status
Not open for further replies.

David-aviator

Well Known Member
The Classified section is being swamped with ads - suppose that's of interest to some but it sure takes up a lot of space.

I suspect the code has been broken, they've figured out the ads are free and target a very select market. That ought to be worth something to help pay the small business health care plan.

Many (but not all) of the submitters are not on the 2.4% list. What a deal for them, while there must be an expense to provide the space.

The least the Classified posters could do for the service is cough up the suggested $25 donation.

Follow my lead!

David, you are right on the money.

After posting my RV-8 for sale on VAF I donated an additional few hundred dollars to DR and that was cheap and very effective advertising.

when i posted my 20' hydrostream boat on scream and fly website for sale i needed to pay $25 to be a certain level member to do it. i was glad to pay and the boat sold in 1 week. changes can be good. good luck with the site.

I would suggest that a symbol such as a $ sign next to your name at the top of your posts next to the blue/green dot that indicates on/off line status. Or change the color of your screen name from blue to green indicating a paid status. Like a sticker on your license plate to indicate to everyone and yourself that you have paid.

This site is a lot of the reason I am flying my RV and not still building, Thanks DR!

I agree

That's a good idea Kelley (for DR). I would much rather buy a part/something from a guy who "chips in" for this great site (ie a color change or mark indicating paid the min. donation for the year).

Dave

Just to set the record straight, DakotaHawk a recent FS poster, is a donator and has been since day one.

His stuff should have a priority code....:)

I did not intend to stir the pot too much. There are many who come in here and read messages and are gone, that's one thing, but to hang up a sign to sell something is another matter. That's generating personal revenue and a little of it could flow to the founder who is experiencing a declining revenue base.

This forum is of some value to just about everyone who checks in here and if a few more guys kicked in a little (or a lot) - that would be good.

I would much rather buy a part/something from a guy who "chips in" for this great site (ie a color change or mark indicating paid the min. donation for the year).

Dave

So you are saying you would pass up a good deal from a non-donator, I doubt it!

I'm not sure I agree with this particular thread on the classified section of VAF. I deal in other "specialty items" that I sell on other sites, I post these items on sites that cater to folks that are interested in such things and they are all free sites. Most of these sites make their money off advertisers and would not even exist if it wasn't for the free public domain type activity which draws a lot of lookers. If you start limiting free public access you alienate folks.

That's a good idea Kelley (for DR). I would much rather buy a part/something from a guy who "chips in" for this great site (ie a color change or mark indicating paid the min. donation for the year).

Dave

And let me add one other perspective. There are many posters who contribute but ask that our names NOT be added to the list for personal or other reasons. Be careful about what you infer from the list of donors.

And let me add one other perspective. There are many posters who contribute but ask that our names NOT be added to the list for personal or other reasons. Be careful about what you infer from the list of donors.

Absolutely true! One of the nice things about the honor system here is that it does not demand that people be separated into "classes". All are welcome, and Doug let's their individual conscience guide them. It's worked really well so far!

Paul

I like the $ indicator idea!!

This would be a reminder that your$elf and everyone could $ee..

$ometimes we just need a reminder..

Great $ite...my $ is in...

T

I don't like the idea of a special ID differing from others...

and I am a multiple contributor....
It just doesn't seem right, and might even cause visitors to remain lurking and looking rather than contributing their experiences and opinions.

Why not just add a small addition to your signature......:D

Free or Paid

IMHO I would recommend free or paid but not some confusing in-between. If you start indicating who's paid on their signature, you'll lose a lot of future visitors that won't register because they're not paying and thereby lose some clout with your advertisers. Page views and unique visitors are good but I'm sure the advertisers really like the registered numbers. Registered members are much more likely to buy from one of the advertisers than an anonymous visitor that stumbled on the site by accident while searching for a Garmin GPS for their car.

So you are saying you would pass up a good deal from a non-donator, I doubt it!

That is true Walt -- I wouldn't pass up a good deal -- never said that I would. Here is my quote: "I would much rather buy a part/something from a guy who "chips in" for this great site (ie a color change or mark indicating paid the min. donation for the year). " All I said is I would rather buy from a guy who has donated, not that I wouldn't jump on a good deal.

Many good points have been brought up. Maybe the best idea is to leave it as is with a gentle reminder once a month?? Who knows. It's kind of like politics -- all kinds of opinions.

VAF#

My understanding of DR rules is that once you contribute your $25, you get a VAF#.
Of course Doug doesn't remove it from you if you don't renew your payment every year, but anyone with a bit of honor should only display his/her VAF# when they've made their donation.

As a side note against more distinctive signs of payment, please remind that DR himself relieves some people from their paying duty, just because he appreciates what they already do for the community. You wouldn't want to hurt these same people by not dealing with them if the advertise an item:eek:

Just my 0.02 Euros

Last edited:
Honor system is best.

Separating payers vs. non payers is not a good policy for a multitude of reasons. The honor system is the way to go, and has turned this site into what it is now. People need to ante up. I mean really, you are building, flying or interested in $50 - $200K+ airplanes, and 25 bucks is too much. Come on! 1 day at OSH is more than that just to get in the gate. Let alone a hot dog and soda. Ante up folks.

...The honor system is the way to go, and has turned this site into what it is now.....

Really? Have you noticed the small boxes on the edge of the screen with logos on them? Perhaps the honor system is the way to go and DR will start making those little squares free! :)

[ed. I love SteinAir! dr]

Cheers,
Stein

Last edited by a moderator:
Touche'

I agree with that Stein, you advertisers have to pay, and though I think everyone should have to pay, I think the honor system is the best method to have them pay. In reality the problem is not with the site, or the proprietor, it rest squarely with the readers that are too cheap to send in money.

Ante up readers!

Status
Not open for further replies.