flipdoc

I'm New Here
Does anyone have knowledge of, or a recommendation for, a DPE for PPL in an experimental in the Tucson AZ area? I have checked with the FSDO website but I haven't found one. I'm completing my training in an RV-9A, so ideally the DPE would have time in a 9A.

Additionally, I am interested in talking to any CFIs in the area that have 9A time, maybe for additional instruction and a different perspective.

Thank you,

Philip Isaac, student pilot
RV-9A
N557BD
Dues paid

Last edited:
The FSDO website won't list DPEs specifically for experimentals, just DPE-PE-ASEL in your case. Call the two that are listed for Tucson and if they don't do experimentals you'll have to broaden your search - to Phoenix.
I just did a search for the area where I was a DPE until I retired last December and the new system is yielding very incomplete data. You are only getting two hits for Tucson but I'm sure there are more. Ask flight schools - they'll know who to call.

Last edited:
Thanks David. I see the two hits when I input DPE-PE-ASEL, and yes, the list must be incomplete because I know of at least two examiners that are in the area and not on that list. There is a section at the bottom of the webpage for EAE, and I had followed the instructions to use EAE-EAA-XXXX, but Vans or RV is not an option on the required dropdown list, so I was stumped, and still am. I will make some calls to the flight schools, as you suggest, and also to EAA.

EAE are for much more exotic ($$$) airplanes. For you, a DPE is needed but there's no alternative to making calls to get pointed in the right direction.