Amadeus

Well Known Member
Do any DPE (Designated Pilot Examiners) do checkrides in experimental aircraft? I want to get my Commercial rating and now that I have my own plane I would prefer to take lessons in it. My instructor informed me that I need to see if any DPE will allow me to perform the checkride in my RV.

I did apply for and received a LODA (Letter of Deviation Authority) to take lessons in the RV.

Do any DPE (Designated Pilot Examiners) do checkrides in experimental aircraft? I want to get my Commercial rating and now that I have my own plane I would prefer to take lessons in it. My instructor informed me that I need to see if any DPE will allow me to perform the checkride in my RV.

I did apply for and received a LODA (Letter of Deviation Authority) to take lessons in the RV.

Some do, some don’t— it’s entirely their prerogative. You’ll have to contact them directly and find out. I’d start with your local DPEs that everyone there uses before shopping countrywide.

Catherine Cavagnaro . . . . .

. . . . . is a DPE based out of Sewanee, TN. She does check rides in experimentals (I took my instrument check ride with her in my RV-7). You can contact her through Ace Aerobatic School 931-636-8678.

I got my private in my 9A. It took some looking to find a DPE that would do it but they are out there. I think the guy I used will do Commercial too. He is in Michigan. Let me know if you want to talk to him. Good luck

BTW, as of last week, you no longer need a LODA to receive paid instruction in the EAB you own. Congress fixed the law.
Ditto to what others said. I only knew of one local examiner who would give check rides in an EAB and, unfortunately, he died a few months ago while giving dual to his boss in a high-priced twin.

Isn't there at least a portion of the Commercial checkride that must be performed in a "Complex" airplane? i.e. retracts.

Isn't there at least a portion of the Commercial checkride that must be performed in a "Complex" airplane? i.e. retracts.

That used to be true, but a few years ago the FAA deleted that requirement after a designated examiner and commercial applicant died when their very high time Piper Arrow lost a wing during the check flight (main spar corrosion was blamed). Applicants are still required to have logged dual instruction in a complex airplane, or, as an alternative, a TAA ("technologically Advanced Aircraft", e.g., glass panel, gps, autopilot), but they are no longer required for the check ride.

Last edited by a moderator:
That used to be true, but a few years ago the FAA deleted that requirement after a designated examiner and commercial applicant died when their very high time Piper Arrow lost a wing during the check flight (main spar corrosion was blamed). Applicants are still required to have logged dual instruction in a complex airplane, or, as an alternative, a TAA ("technologically Advanced Aircraft", e.g., glass panel, gps, autopilot), but they are no longer required for the check ride.

I suspect lobbying from Cirrus had more to do with that than the Arrow accident.

Robert Davids just did the wife's commercial checkride in our rv7. He's in CA though, so that might be a bit of a drive for you.

Robert Davids just did the wife's commercial checkride in our rv7. He's in CA though, so that might be a bit of a drive for you.

I sent an ifr candidate with a-10 to Rob a decade ago, but thought he had gone inactive. Good to know he’s still (or again) doing checkrides.

I got my private in my 9A. It took some looking to find a DPE that would do it but they are out there. I think the guy I used will do Commercial too. He is in Michigan. Let me know if you want to talk to him. Good luck

Thank you! I will try Tennessee first but it is good to know there are alternatives.

Just start making phone calls. The first guy I talked to said yes. Did instrument and commercial. Now I need to find a new DPE that can do a CFI initial so I'm back in your boat as well. haha