60av8tor

Well Known Member
I've researched quite a bit and am gathering components to construct a downdraft table for priming. I am now debating size. I would like a happy medium between being able to store when not in use - building in a two-car garage - but large enough to be able to shoot a reasonable amount of items at one time.

Would appreciate any input on table dimensions that have worked well for those of you that have built/used a table for priming. Thanks!

I used the fuse crate on edge, work out well, now that there is a fuse in my garage and work benches on the other side. getting tight.

Whatever size you have room for will work and won't be large enough. It is kind of like guns and trucks, I've never had one too big.

Mine was 4x4 and made with 2x4's and chicken wire.
\
(Click to enlarge)

I found the same thing as Bill, it took up too much floor space and just wasn't big enough. I thought of incorporating it with my normal work table, which is 5x3.5, but in the end it wasn't worth the time to solve the problem. I bought a nice shop vac from Lowes and moved on.

Priming booth.

http://www.vansairforce.com/community/showthread.php?t=95703&page=2

Check out this entry. It has pictures of the downdraft priming booth I made and I am very happy with it. It folds and serves as another work surface when I don't need it for priming. The key demonsion is having enough room for long pieces... Mine is 5 feei, often just barely enough. I would have gone with 6 feet if I had it to do over.

Ivan

Thanks for the info. Ivan and Andy, thanks for the links ? I had previously saved them to my favorites while researching and used both your posts during my planning. I may have over engineered things a bit, but I had some time over the holidays?:D

This is what I ended up with ? 3?x5?:
DSC_2165.jpg

I plan on replacing the back board with wood from a crate ? my piece was just a few inches too narrow (I had a few sheets of OBS hanging around and used it up building the tables) The wire frame comes out to expose the top layer of filters with a layer below:
DSC_2166.jpg

I mounted the ducts and filters below to a piece of ??on rails:
DSC_2167.jpg

I did so to make it easily removable to replace the filters:
DSC_2168.jpg

I will mount 2 4? sealed bilge blowers in line with one last filter at the end:
DSC_2169.jpg

Part of the deal with the RV-10 build was for my wife to be able to park in the garage if remotely possible throughout the build, so I made a removable base. It all quickly breaks down to this:
DSC_2170.jpg

Besides the two EAA work tables in the pic above, I made a smaller table with a collapsible extension in the back:
DSC_2171.jpg

I also mounted some peg board, and replaced my two 50W globes with some proper lighting:
DSC_2174.jpg

After several weeks throughout the busy holidays, I?m finally complete:
DSC_2175.jpg

Plan on ordering the tail and some tools next week and attend an EAA workshop 18-19 January. Can?t wait to get started!