n5lp

fugio ergo sum
Hey Doug, I liked it. Even thought maybe I got a glimpse of my poor airplane over at Monkey's when you looked right after takeoff.

Too bad you couldn't show people what a tip-up really looks like. Maybe you could photo-shop out that rail thingee?

Thanks for the ride

Before I saw your video, I couldn't decide between a 7 or 9. When I write that check it'll be for a -7A!

I guess I need to change my signature block...

Hello Flash!

Hey Flash, good to see that you're still getting regular exercise!

I do like the video Doug - but I wonder how heavy that camera would be on your neck with a 4-5 G pullout.... :eek:

Paul

Slated improvements...

Larry! I'll get a pick of your plane occasionally and email to you so you can see progress. That 'rail' is for the shade - and I agree I should have probably gotten that thing out of the shot <g>.

7 vs 9: I can't imagine a flight without at least one roll.

Iron, I think the overhead put about 2.5G on me (and I could FEEL it on my head!) I think that shifted the camera slightly and accounted for the up-angle view in the flare. Call it 'things we learn when we flight test' <g>.

This really was fun. I see it's been seen over 350 times while I slept. I think investing in a simple wide lens for the camcorder and working up an actual head mount (with say a canvas flying helmet like used in open cockpits) would do wonders.

Great fun!

Lightweight Camera....

I've been thinking of buying one of these little solid-state, waterproof cameras/recorders to mount on a headband or helmet:

http://www2.oregonscientific.com/shop/product.asp?cid=20&scid=77&pid=709

We have a couple of them in our Fire Department, and have them mounted on helmets and looking out the windshields of our trucks (but no one ever remembers to turn them on...). Their resolution looks fine for making web videos....

Paul

Taping a landing is like golf...

You gotta keep your head down. Other that that, pretty cool. Does your camcorder have external camera inputs? If so, the camera I used in these was like $35:

http://n466pg.blogspot.com/2006/11/blog-post.html

http://n466pg.blogspot.com/2006/12/blog-post.html

http://n466pg.blogspot.com/2006/12/tour-of-columbus.html

It's a tiny little thing and mounted easily to my Dave Clarks. Still can't figure out how to get audio, though.

DeltaRomeo said:
Larry! I'll get a pick of your plane occasionally and email to you so you can see progress. That 'rail' is for the shade - and I agree I should have probably gotten that thing out of the shot <g>.

7 vs 9: I can't imagine a flight without at least one roll.

Iron, I think the overhead put about 2.5G on me (and I could FEEL it on my head!) I think that shifted the camera slightly and accounted for the up-angle view in the flare. Call it 'things we learn when we flight test' <g>.

This really was fun. I see it's been seen over 350 times while I slept. I think investing in a simple wide lens for the camcorder and working up an actual head mount (with say a canvas flying helmet like used in open cockpits) would do wonders.

Great fun!

Great video Doug, that's the view I get when I roll my 9. BTW, thanks to your review of the Bogibar, I purchased one and played with it yesterday. Very nice.
Now I really feel guilty about not sending you $25. I need to do that soon.

Video

Nice video - forwarded that link to a lot of my non-flying friends. Gives a good representation of what it's like from the left seat.

You must have started recording *after* you yelled "clear prop" ? ;o)

next video?

Hey Doug, is there any chance of getting the thing to record sound from your intercom in the future? It would be great to hear your communications and to have some running commentary on what you are doing during the video.

Working on that now.

b,
d

RVbySDI said:
Hey Doug, is there any chance of getting the thing to record sound from your intercom in the future? It would be great to hear your communications and to have some running commentary on what you are doing during the video.

Nice video... ! didn't get sick at all!

DeltaRomeo said:
That 'rail' is for the shade - and I agree I should have probably gotten that thing out of the shot <g>.
no, not at all... I was wondering what it was, and then you had it deployed in a scene and I thought it was pretty cool- never seen one -- can't tell I'm the noob can ya!

only thing I didn't like was taxiing into the hanger, but thats just me.. I don't have to push it.. :)

A

Last edited:
I think investing in a simple wide lens for the camcorder and working up an actual head mount (with say a canvas flying helmet like used in open cockpits) would do wonders.

Doug, here is the Kenko SGW-043 37mm 0.43x wide-angle lens I use with my Canon DV camcorder:

http://tinyurl.com/2gd3ce

(info from B&H Photo site)

The lens works great and yields a field of view that is close to our normal human perspective. I think if you use the lens and mount the camera on the rollbar of your plane, you may not need the helmet mount because you will be able to pick up the full view in front of the plane and the panel. But if you go with the helmet mount, the wide lens will minimize the apparent motion and reduce the queasies. You may need a filter thread adapter if the threads on the lens are a different size than the ones on your camera lens.

Here is the wide lens in action on the rollbar of the StalkerV6:

http://sambuchanan.com/stalker.wmv

Keep burnin' the tape! :)

Last edited:
Thank you, Sam!!!

b,d

Sam Buchanan said:
Doug, here is the Kenko SGW-043 37mm 0.43x wide-angle lens I use with my Canon DV camcorder:

http://tinyurl.com/2gd3ce

(info from B&H Photo site)

The lens works great and yields a field of view that is close to our normal human perspective. I think if you use the lens and mount the camera on the rollbar of your plane, you won't need the helmet mount because you will be able to pick up the full view in front of the plane and the panel.

Here is the wide lens in action on the rollbar of the StalkerV6:

http://sambuchanan.com/stalker.wmv

Keep burnin' the tape! :)

Rolls in a -12?

Great video Doug, thanks! Brought back some great memories for me.

So, does anyone know if the -12 will be approved for any aerobatics?

John
[probably restricted to LSA]

Cool.

Do have one question for ya.

Sure seems like your engine ran on for quite some time after pulling the
mixture. I think you're carburated but still, seems like forever before the
big noisemaker up front stops. My injected noisemaker stops NOW when
the mixture is pulled.

Cool

And I'm mighty jealous,

Can't seem to find the courage to do a loop....Aileron rolls...Now with extended negative G (namely flying upside down) and split S's no problem....

But a loop is just like 1 step beyond....:)

Frank 7a

walter said:
snip... seems like forever before the
the mixture is pulled.
Hey Walter!

We've done 'formation shutdowns' before on the head nod and all the carburated engines stop almost identically (takes a few seconds). I have a LASAR setup, so maybe that adds to the length?

b,
d

Doug

What fun!!!!! I really enjoyed the video!!!!!!!!!! Way jealous!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Now if I can just get my plane done (RV7A)!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Frank @ sgu RV7A "NDY"...................

tcrv7 said:
Did I notice your watch was a Submariner
Yepper. Built in 1977 - 30 years old and still running just fine. This model 1680 was purchased used with a $20 steel bracelet (not rolex) from -7A builder/driver Walt Aronow. He runs www.LoneStarWatches.com and sells bracelets and bands on the side.

Note it has a crystal on it from a Sea Dweller (no cyclops lens over the date). I have it, though, and might have it installed someday during a checkup.

Something kinda interesting to me about a watch that doesn't need batteries, winds itself, makes a pretty decent pilot watch with the timer bezel and you can scuba dive with. I'm 99% certain I'll keep this forever. I have two other nice mechanical watches that I keep in the safe and wear on special occasions, but this Sub is my 'daily beater'.

Here's a better picture of the actual watch. Not bad for 30yrs old, huh?

1680drff0.jpg

PS: you might have guessed I'm a 'watch guy' :).

Last edited:
walter said:
Cool.

Do have one question for ya.

Sure seems like your engine ran on for quite some time after pulling the
mixture. I think you're carburated but still, seems like forever before the
the mixture is pulled.
Composite/wood props stop much more quickly than metal...

Great video, Doug. Here is a neat little item.

http://www.bulletcam.com/helmet_Cams_products.htm

A google search will get you a bunch of different ones but you get the idea. It would be a lot easier than having the whole camera on your head. Other mounting options are also possible. A bunch of my friends use these and some really cool videos.

:)