txaviator

Well Known Member
When you arrived for your NY trip, did you go into LGA (LaGuardia)? That is a wild approach, with the tires almost skimming the ocean on final! :eek:

My division of Honeywell has their corporate offices in NY (Syosset, Long Island), and I go there on business about 5-6 times per year. You are right: it can be a shock to us laid-back Texas boys!

Take care,

Hey Gary!

We flew into Newark and cabbed it to Manhattan Island. Had dinner at Times Square (THAT was an experience!!! :eek: ).

Best,

Nyc

txaviator said:
did you go into LGA (LaGuardia)? That is a wild approach, with the tires almost skimming the ocean on final!
Actually, that' Flushing Bay on the north shore. The ocean is on the south shore by JFK. Spent 2 years based at LGA...miss it a lot.

DeltaRomeo said:
Had dinner at Times Square (THAT was an experience!!!)
Doug, let me know if you're going to be back in town...I live on the Upper East Side. I can show you around a bit more. Times Square is fun to see, but too touristy for dinner (I know, I know...you're a tourist ;) There are so many great places to eat in NYC. It's the food capitol of the world!

Brad

Which airport would you consider the most "GA friendly"?

I was thinking Tetorboro, but I saw a LOT of biz jets parked there when I flew into Newark Intl last week.

Thoughts?

Shoot, the taxi ride from Newark Intl to Times Square cost me $80 after tolls and tip.

Tederboro will work

I have taken my 6 there a dozen times.
But there is a landing fee that will get sent to you. I think it was $30 or something for EACH landing.
Do not let them de-ice your plane. It will cost you $800 and it will be oozzing out of crevaces for months. Ask me how I know.

Kahuna

ohiopilot said:
Which airport would you consider the most "GA friendly"?

Thoughts?

Shoot, the taxi ride from Newark Intl to Times Square cost me $80 after tolls and tip.
To be honest, nothing near NYC is really GA friendly. The most GA friendly would be FRG (Farmingdale, Republic) on Long Island, but that?s about 45 minutes East of the city (depending on traffic).

Closer to the city, I would choose HPN (White Plains) over TEB. It?s a bit easier to operate in an out of HPN because you?re not so close to EWR. If you want to be West of the city, Morristown and Caldwell are both very GA friendly. But ground transportation to/from those places could be more of a challenge. I?m not too familiar.

Linden is also way too close to EWR if you?re not very familiar with the area. I think the floor of the Class B is about 800? over Linden.

ohiopilot said:
It?s a little less convenient than a cab but you can take the train from EWR to NYC for about $12.

Hope this helps.

Brad

Kahuna said:
Do not let them de-ice your plane. It will cost you $800 and it will be oozzing out of crevaces for months. Ask me how I know.

Kahuna
Yes, deicing usually costs big $$$. It?s always nice when someone else is paying the bills :)

It?s usually more cost effective for GA a/c to be placed in a heated hanger until the a/c has melted clean. And you won?t have to deal with the residue.

Brad