BlackRV7

Well Known Member
With nearly 20,000 hits on the thread about Black Magic getting a black eye, I'm not going into the whole story, suffice to say:

Confirmation to me, it's the people I have been introduced to, rather than the airplane that make this experience the grand experience it has, and will continue to be.

First of all, the support and offers of help, words, wisdom, sweat, wrench turning, parts building.........the list goes on but it is quite overwhelming to me. My thanks is not enough but it is extended. I mean every word of that, Doug thank you for this site.

When I got Black Magic back to the house I wrote down everything that was needed to be done, and in what order, leaving open spaces for unexpected finds in the disassembly. One of the biggies was the prop. Hartzell, I find out, is running behind a little on shipping. Not only was just not having the prop going to be an issue, it also presented a problem to me in fitting the cowl. I know there are ways to do it without the and I probably could have just used my old hub but to me it was just easier to fit the cowl with everything in place, gaps, clearances, lines. I say all that to say this:

I asked yesterday if anyone was willing to trade spots, hoping someone would have ordered a little prematurely and would not have a problem, and even hang onto their money a little longer, trading up/down in the shipping order from Hartzell. I wake up this morning to a private email from a 130 driver in IRAQ who casually says he'll be there for the summer....like he was on vacation or something, which he is not and has my utmost respect and concern, saying he was willing to trade spots. Not only that, but his prop is actually sitting on Hartzell's loading dock TODAY, due to be shipped tomorrow. We have since changed the shipping address and are working out the money deal, as I don't want him to be out his 100% for another two to three months and me only be out my 25% deposit. I want him to have his 75% remaining balance due back in his hands. He is in bed in Iraq right now, so we will be talking tomorrow.

Although some on my panel thread, I believe, thought I was being defensive with their ideas and opinions, simply not the case. I valued every idea and will be incorporating some into the new panel to be unveiled when Black Magic attends her next flyin.

The round gauges I posted are all sold and will go into RV's, just where I wanted them to go. The Garmin 106A just, about 30 minutes ago, left the house, picked up by a 7 building from about 35 miles away whom I did not know. As he left, he said "Dana, if you can use me to turn wrenches or anything, you have my number, give me a call".

I go through all the above just because I am truly overwhelmed by this crowd. When we finished running today, a comment was made about the supportiveness of the RV flying community. I don't wish any bad luck on any RV driver but if needed this crowd will gather around and do whatever it takes..........WOW........that is all I can say.

Here is a guy in harms way, flying in Iraq, lending me a hand in Waco, KY...............I'm shaking my head.....it's undeserving but appreciated. He is the guy we need, in any way we can, to be lending a hand. When he wakes up tomorrow, and if able to get an open line, I'm going to ask him if I can post his email address, I don't even know if that's safe but gang he is one of the heros. Thanks Keith.

I'm outta here, headed to the garage. There's work to be done.

Doug, you said on the front page, whenever, wherever you and I are at the same place, food and drinks are on you........I think we are going to have to fight. I'm buying!!

Last edited:
Those are very kind words, Dana. Jay Pratt always says, "I got more out of aviation than it got out of me." I think that sums up a lot of what the RV community is about. It really is a hobby about people, with some flying thrown in on the side. Sounds corny, but I believe it more and more as time goes on.

Really glad to hear your plane is getting some global love and I'm sure you'll be turnin' and churnin' over your airport in no time.

Best,
Doug

ps: "Fight On!" regarding dinner....:)

Great update Dana! Whether you've heard it directly from some or not, we were ALL thinking of you when this happened, and wondering how we could help.

I've only been in this hobby for three years, and I already know the value of friendships made along the way.

This prop deal is just another example of the quality of people we are all thankful for...a soldier in Iraq is EXEMPLARY!

Hope to see you soon buddy! I got a drink with your name on it at Oshkosh!

:cool:

Those are very kind words, Dana. Jay Pratt always says, "I got more out of aviation than it got out of me." I think that sums up a lot of what the RV community is about. It really is a hobby about people, with some flying thrown in on the side. Sounds corny, but I believe it more and more as time goes on...

Best,
Doug

Respectfully, Doug, it's a vocation (for me at least), not a hobby. :)

This prop deal is just another example of the quality of people we are all thankful for...a soldier in Iraq is EXEMPLARY!

Hope to see you soon buddy! I got a drink with your name on it at Oshkosh!

:cool:

If I don't have a black eye after fighting with Doug, you are on!! I plan on being there and I'll leave it at that.................it's only 10:46PM, lots of rebuild time left before bed time.

This is not a post about Black Magic, it is a post about VAF, man ol man, something else!!

I gotta beef with Doug

Doug - You have done too good a job with VAF.

It's cutting into my building time!! You did it to me tonight.

Seriously, thank you so much for what you have provided. I have used the site to save time on issues and problems. Learned things from others mistakes. Improved safety awareness. Save some money and spent some more.

It also is wonderful for those insomniac times when you wake and cannot go back to sleep.

VAFWWW is GREAT

I concur with the other posters. However I do have one complaint. It is really hard for me to pass up a good deal and there have been so many on VAFWWW that I have become a multiple repeat offender. After owning 5 certified airplanes and flying 25+ years in them before becoming a Van's RV addict my life has really changed. My signature says it all, and DR is in large part responsible. VAFWWW with morning coffe is my rise and shine fix and VAFWWW is one of the last things I do each day. I can't say enough good things about DR and all the other RV friends I have developed over the past seven years.