Eduardo

Hello people,

Does anyone have installed the G900X in RV-10 (I think so)??? I have some doubts regarding the installation of this one, more specifically about batteries, Alternators and the wiring. We intend to use only the G900X in the panel. I've heard something like this: "to use the G900X you must use two batteries"..."you will need two alternators", and on. So I would like to know about people who already have installed this G900 if all this is true. I know that is a complex system to install, but If someone that have some experience could post some hints/ tips, some simple diagram, or even where could we find more information about, I would be grateful!!!

Thanks to all !

Last edited:
I'm predicting Stein will be the next person to post. They have made several G900X panels for RV-10s!

As for batteries and alternators ... I think 2 batteries is very smart and also very easy. Two alternators is still smart, but slightly harder and more expensive. As with any redundant system, as yourself what the point of having the redundancy is, and plan accordingly.

TODR

If you can afford a 10 with a 900 in it, you can afford to pay Stein to build your panel and a plan for the rest......

Echoing what has already been said, the G900 (or any other serious IFR panel) cries out for redundancy in the power supply department. Dual batteries at minimum; you want to be able to get on the ground in the event of a battery/alternator failure in IMC.

That said, you also want to plan for a 28V system with the G900.

Right...so, we do know this pretty well, as we've done more G900X RV-10 installations than everyone else combined. There are dozens of them flying in almost every configuration, some with 1 battery and 1 alternator and just battery powered backups like the Dynon D10.

There are only a couple shops that know much of anything in detail about the G900X and how it relates to RV's, so where you get the information from is critical. There are a number of our customers flying with G900X's with ONE battery and ONE alternator. No need to go crazy unless you want to. It also works and will interface with the VP-200 (see pic here) - this one has one battery/one alternator.

You might want to put in a small backup batter (as many do) or there is a new/REALLY nifty backup battery product from TCW technologies that automates the entire procedure.

The system can be either 28V or 14V (it doesn't care) - out of the dozens of RV10's we've done with the G900X in it, only TWO have been 28V, the rest are 14V. Also, if you do a good job planning, you can install the entire thing with no modifications to the ribs behind the panel either.

Probably easiest thing to do is contact me off list because I could ramble on about little details for many pages. If it's something you're interested in you'll find that the actual installation really isn't that bad/scary or whatever. I'm sure there will be someone that'll hijack this thread into a "why don't you look at xxx", but the G900X fits nicely into the RV10 and doesn't require lots of complicated electrical system if you don't want it.

In the end it's no different than putting an IFR panel of any sort into the RV10. Just happens that this system is integrated more than other systems.

My 2 cents as usual.

Cheers,
Stein

Last edited:
Thanks !!!

These informations will help me a lot to begin to plan our G900X installations!
Stein, thank you so much for your help! your information will realy help us here!

Again..thanks you all for the help !!!

Regards

As far as the G900 goes, there is NOTHING inherent in the design that says you MUST have dual alternators or dual battery. I think that is the simple answer for what you are asking. It will hum along all day on a single alternator/battery. Similarly, whomever is wiring the panel only has to give minimal consideration to power redundancy--They do need to be aware that the COMMs REQUIRE 28 volts! Usually this provided with the install of voltage converters just for the COMMs.

That being said, as with ANY glass cockpit -not just the G900-it is probably wise to add some type of electrical redundancy. In the certified world, these requirements are prescribed. You will have to determine what is required, if any, for experimentals in Brazil. Outside of regulatory requirements, some are comfortable with only an additional battery to back up their glass panels. Others choose dual alternators/dual batteries. if you panel installer is also designing and installing your electrical system, then you need to be clear on what you are comfortable with.

One needs to keep in mind that the typicsl G900X is also modularized a bit itself to begin with. Typically the sytsem is split into two distinct "avionics busses", and since there is almost 2 of each in the plane you split up a primary and secondary buss structure. Remembering that you main aircraft battery is your first backup to the main alternator, you simply shed the primary buss load (shut off avionics #1) and leave on avionics number 2. This reduces the current burn by a huge amount while still leaving the core 900X functionality intact.

Next, if you're using something like a dual control VP200 you can take advantage of not only a split buss setup, but also take advantage of the power A and power B inputs into the system (like many EFISes have) so you can feed various pieces of equipment from various sources.

Keeping all that in mind, one needs to be carefull not to overcomplicate things. Too many busses, relays, crossties, feeds, diodes, etc.. will inherently reduce reliability! This totally blows away the entire benefit of what one was attempting to do to begin with. There is a point of diminishing returns when it comes to electrical system reliability, so we must be mindfull of that when designing said electrical system.

Cheers,
Stein

G900X

I have the G900 installed, single bat/single alt setup. Both are extremly reliable; however, if the Bat should goes the Alt should operate the system and if the Alt goes then the Bat will operate the system for a period. Keep it simple.

Last edited: