chris mitchell

Well Known Member
Patron
I'm contemplating the rear seat throttle installation. First, AIUI, I have to remove the 7 nutplates (its a QB fuse) that currently will interfere with the F8114 installation since it has to lie inside the flanges of the arm rest and adjacent ribs. The instructions say that the holes for the rivets that held the nutplates in place can be filled by double flush rivets. I found this explanation:

"Occasionally, an assembly is designed in which two parts or sheets of material must rest against each other free of obstruction that the protruding shop head of a rivet would otherwise prevent from occurring. The designer may call out a "double flush" rivet or series of double flush rivets to deal with such a situation. The following is a generic explanation of a typical double flush riveting procedure. The side of the hole that would normally accept the manufactured head of the rivet is countersunk in the normal fashion. The opposite end of the hole that the shop head of the rivet normally protrudes from is "touch" countersunk. This is normally produced to a depth considerably LESS than a full countersink. The rivet is then squeezed or shot normally. Care must be taken to insure that the shop head swells and completely fills in the "touch" countersink. The excess shop head protruding from the material is then removed with a rivet shaver or blended smooth with the surface using a file or sandpaper or combination of both. In practice, the length of the rivet used in this situation is somewhat shorter than what would normally used because the goal here is to completely fill the "touch" countersink and then remove the excess material."

But this situation is a single thin sheet. What do folk do here actually do here?? Flatten out the dimple, minimally countersink both sides and then use a VERY short rivet? Or rivet the F8114 in place using these rivet holes rather than fasten it with screws and nutplates (which I must admit to being tempted to do..)

Thanks

Chris

Thanks

Chris

I am at the same point and am thinking of mounting the plate on the outside of the side formers and flange of the topplate. I think that it will probably look better this way...just have to check if moving inboard 3/32" will affect the throttle itself.

Thanks - I wondered about that too. Have to move the slot for the throttle lever a little, I can't imagine that it will be critical for the rod that joins the two throttles together. Must go outside and take a look.

C

Update....Installed it as I described in last post and did not have to change anything. I had cut my slot in the 'armrest' before rivetting it to the side skin months ago. I used a .040 spacer at the top. Go to my site in my sig and you will see a couple of pictures...Cheers

Ken,

Excellent - looks good and must have been a breeze to do - tho' I'm glad you did first!!

After looking at your pictures I have some supplementary questions:

Where did you position the slot for the throttle handle - did you move it inboard the extra 3/32"?

I presume you nibbled off the ends of the channel on the bottom of the F8114 so that it would sit flat on the edge flanges F806 and 807 bulkheads?

Any tips on positioning/drilling the holes in the F8114 for the screws? Just careful measurement?

Is there anything that you learned during the actual execution of this part that makes you think you'd do it differently next time?

In addition I see you are using the "de luxe" throttle quadrant - did you have to do some engineering to get that to firt properly? On mine the bolts in the quadrant don't match the mounting plate (its a QB fuse).

many thanks

Chris

Where did you position the slot for the throttle handle - did you move it inboard the extra 3/32"
I cut the slot per the template that was provided in the kit..I did not move it out or in.

"I presume you nibbled off the ends of the channel on the bottom of the F8114 so that it would sit flat on the edge flanges F806 and 807 bulkheads?
"

Yes I did.

"Any tips on positioning/drilling the holes in the F8114 for the screws? Just careful measurement?
"

I have the newer pre punch kit and the holes for nutplates were already in the sideformers and topplate. I simply put the piece in behind as it was originally intended to be mounted and match drilled the screw holes. I used a piece of .040 as a spacer between the top plate flange and the throttle plate.

"In addition I see you are using the "de luxe" throttle quadrant - did you have to do some engineering to get that to firt properly? On mine the bolts in the quadrant don't match the mounting plate (its a QB fuse)."

Mine fit fine.