bryanflood

Well Known Member
Hi, I have an RV-9A and my wife constantly complains about the vibration of the floor, not really the noise, just the vibration. For some reason she seems really worried about it and has taken to removing her feet from the floor or putting large blankets under her feet. How horrible, I also notice the vibration but it's not particularly offensive to me or does it seems all that out of line for an aircraft w/o an interior. I think I would like to install a "double floor" with a 1/4" light ply. I know there are other RV'ers who have done this, an I would like feedback on there experience:

1. Did/does it reduce vibration...

2. How did you mount the floor?

I worried that an impropperly mounted floor will just transmit the vibration and not adress the problem.

Thanks,

Bryan

More info please...

Please provide some more info.
How bad is it at 2300 rpm, 2400 rpm and higher?
What engine/prop combo do you have?
Did you balance after assembly?

Foam between the stiffeners

The vibration is caused from the exhaust pulses beating on the floorpan. You will be amazed at the difference if you fill the voids between the stiffeners with 3/4 foam and then lay carpet over that. I used a black vinyl nitrile foam that's fire proof and doesn't absorb liquids. I'd give you a part number but it doesn't seem to be in the Spruce catalog anymore.

AC Spruce

jonbakerok said:
The vibration is caused from the exhaust pulses beating on the floorpan. You will be amazed at the difference if you fill the voids between the stiffeners with 3/4 foam and then lay carpet over that. I used a black vinyl nitrile foam that's fire proof and doesn't absorb liquids. I'd give you a part number but it doesn't seem to be in the Spruce catalog anymore.

Jon .... I think you are talking about the black stuff on the top of this page...

http://www.aircraftspruce.com/menus/ap/soundproof.html

Just bought some for my Tiger... it's much denser than furniture foam, but not much heavier.

Note - the weight quoted is per linear ft. - it's 4 ft wide...

gil in Tucson

Last edited:
Get an Aero Classics carpet. Comes with the 3/4" dense foam bonded to the carpet. Also has heel pads under the rudder pedals and it fits perfectly. Don

Remove the noise

Get a new wife? :eek: I'm KIDDING (Do what ever you can to please her, she is more important than the plane, yes I said it and mean it.)

Last edited:
Floor vibration

I have no floor vibration on my 9-A. None. I put sections of 3/4" Super soundproofing betweenthe ribs in the floor and fitted 1/4" plywood over the soundproofing execpt for the center tunnel, I left that metal. I then painted the plywood with wingwalk paint for traction so I can back out of the plane. Works great. I also cut some groves in the soundproofing to run wires from front to back they are now under the plywood I hope I never need to get at them. But the plywood is not hard to remove but it is hard for me to get at.
I also put 3/4" soundproofing on the back side of the firewall.
Would or will do the same again.

Ditto on the Aero Classics carpeting with integrated foam backer.
Knocked down most of the vibrations. Since I installed it, my feet are
comfortable as ever. Plus, it looks great and does have some sound
absorbtion properties, which I slightly noticed.

Balsa core?

On someone's builders web site I saw they had used balsa core between the floor and the outer skin. I do not believe they frequent the forum and I can't find their web site again. Any thoughts on this? weight? flammability? Anyone know the builder? (I believe it was a partnership)

Keith McIntyre

Aero Clasics carpet source

Do you have a source or URL for that, Walter? I didn't find it in a Google search.
thanks,
brian

walter said:
Ditto on the Aero Classics carpeting with integrated foam backer.
Knocked down most of the vibrations. Since I installed it, my feet are
comfortable as ever. Plus, it looks great and does have some sound
absorbtion properties, which I slightly noticed.

Insulation under the floors

Hi all,

When you say to put 3/4 foam between the ribs, do you mean to pretty much pack that whole area under the floors? I am unclear about how much of the stuff to put and exactly where to put it.

Thanks

Michael Wynn
RV 8 Fuselage