Michael Burbidge

Well Known Member
I double-drilled one of my flap skin holes. This is on the underside of the flap. I'm thinking that I just put a rivet in the correct hole and fill in the other. Am I crazy? Here's a picture:
0df48d5ecb634763b2f6610757a14947

Do not put a rivet in either of those holes. Because of insufficient (virtually non-existent) edge distance, it won't provide any useful strength, and would only tend to deform or crack if you rivet it. I think you'd be better off doing the following:

1. Enlarge your double-hole into a single larger but perfectly round clean hole. This hole will remain unused, but that way at least it won't be a major stress riser. You can fill it later if desired for cosmetic reasons.

2. Add two rivets, one on either side of the original hole, ensuring proper edge distance between holes.

That would be my general approach, but you should ask the same of Van's and defer to their advice.

Van's answer

Here's the response I got from the support person at Vans:

Michael, there are two ways. One way is to replace the skin. The other way is to use the correct hole on the rib. Dimple the correct hole and file around the edge of the dimple where it will crack. Use filler after it is riveted together. JB weld or something to that effect.