Don Patrick

Well Known Member
Folks,

I made the mistake of not making sure that the last few items I bought on here were shipped by the USPS (United States Postal Service) DO NOT use UPS (United Parcel Service) to ship items to Canada. Because of my mistake, I was just charged an additional $125 for brokerage fees, that would never have been applied had I used USPS.

As a result of th total cost that I have now paid, I could have gone to Aircraftspruce down the road and bought these items brand new and in the box unopened.:mad:

So, learn from my mistake and go only with USPS when shipping to the cold north! Not only is it cheaper, it's faster!!!

Cheers,

Don

Roger that...........I learned that very quickly when I was building. Fedex is just as bad

Same thing happened when I used FedEx to send one package to Indonesia and USPS to send another.

FedEx - Big mistake!

USPS

Yep, I did that once or twice before I got the message. Even complained to UPS that their brokerage and handling fees exceeded the cost of the shipping (never mind the cost of the item which was also small). Did no good. If a supplier won't ship via USPS now, I won't buy from them.

DON'T use UPS for shipments to Canada

I have a real nice $75.00 Vans Aircraft cap:eek:

I needed a fitting that Vans had the best price on, so I ordered it and the ball cap. I even asked Vans if they still had my Michigan shipping address and they said they did. Imagine my surprise when UPS showed up at my door wanting a 50.00 brokerage fee.

Needless to say, I make sure they have the right shipping address.

Cheers, Terry.

Agreed. I haven't placed any orders yet with regards to building but I do a lot of online ordering and always try to avoid UPS or Fedex whenever I can. The one exception is Digi-Key. It's just a flat $8 CDN to ship to Canada using UPS. Well, Winnipeg at least. No extra brokerage fees. And they overnight it too. They may come in handy when it's time to build the panel.

Cheers.

I sent a package worth over 1000 bucks and it took over a month and a half for the purchaser to receive it via USPS. I will never do that again. Later I heard it was held up in customs. I was sweating bullets!!!!!!!!!!!! But if the purchaser order from Spruce,Vans, ETC, he would've got it in a couple of days. Thats why I ship and shop totally with the good ole USA

Agreed. I haven't placed any orders yet with regards to building but I do a lot of online ordering and always try to avoid UPS or Fedex whenever I can. The one exception is Digi-Key. It's just a flat $8 CDN to ship to Canada using UPS. Well, Winnipeg at least. No extra brokerage fees. And they overnight it too. They may come in handy when it's time to build the panel.
FYI - Digikey has a Canadian warehouse.

One thing I have discovered with UPS into Canada is that if you must ship UPS go with WW Express. They tend to skip the brokerage firms when it's Express.

Mat

What?

"Thats why I ship and shop totally with the good ole USA"

What does that have to do with anything? Good for you, thats not the thread issue/topic.

The point is that the shipping firms "make up" fees and show them as taxes and duty. They are not. Last package Vans shipped to me was $125 US total, the shipping was $20 and the "fees" were $110. No kidding, only $15 was actual legit tax, the rest just a rip. When I went back to Vans, they indicated they were told that was the "duty". Nonsense there is NO duty anymore to Canada, none. They had no idea it was just a added charge by UPS.

I ended up lining up a US address to ship to and drive over and do get it all myself and do the border taxes myself. Not an option for those further from the border.

Ah... That explains it then! :D

Actually, DigiKey ships everything from North Dakota. I think they used to truck orders to Winnipeg for shipment across Canada via Purolator, however about 2 years ago they switched to UPS and now everything is shipped directly from ND (that's the -ND in the part numbers).

I found that UPS would come later in the day than I was used to, but I can still get parts overnight for $8.00.

BTW, I've suggested to Jim Irwin (GM ACS) that they should talk to Digikey about their overnight delivery model. It would be a huge business advantage to get parts overnight, or even within 2 days for a nominal shipping charge.

Vern

Somewhat related...

A few years ago I purchased an item out of the US for my wife. The seller sent it UPS, although USPS was requested. When it arrived here with the outrageous brokerage charges :mad:, I refused the shipment, notified the seller that the item was being returned and that it should be shipped by USPS. He complied, and the Canadian Post Office charged me $5 S&H :D instead of the $50 service charge from UPS on a $35 item.

Kudos to Digikey, also.

Tom

Thank You

This thread was a timely heads-up for me.

I have just ordered an engine from AeroSport in Canada and was planning to get the prop from Whirlwind, the engine mounts from Vans and the exhaust from Vetterman all consolidated into one shipment to be forwarded from Aerosport to Australia.

Now I will make sure its USPS or I'll figure something else out.

Phew!

Peter

Shipping

Peter, check with BAX Global to Austrailia, we usually have both the best rates and service with them. The door to door and door to airport rates are extremely different but as I remember the door to door included duties and taxes. Feel free to call us and talk to Annette for the details, she is the shipping expert here.

We always ship USPS to Canada (and most other countries) unless specifically asked to do a different method. We try and offer the best value for all of our customers so in some cases (like Aus. and S.A.) we will recommend other options based on past experience. Many Canada customers ship to addresses near the border and pick it up. Other international builders often know airline pilots that fly into the US and we will ship it to their hotel to transport back. Finally we are happy to consolidate orders as well, if you are ordering from half a dozen vendors we will put it in a single box for shipment with our items.

-Mike

UPS to Canada

For sure NEVER use UPS for anything to Canada or any sort of ground mail service! UPS thought I was a commercial company when I ordered in some Van's stuff at the beginning of my project and I lost weight jumping through all the hoops they forced upon me. Mail service was dead slow. I could have walked to Oregon and back faster than the mail took (3 weeks).
Seriously, the best service I have experienced was with FedEx express on anything UNDER $1600 Cdn. Always showed up at my office door only days after ordering from Van's (2 to 3 days max) with minimal shipping charges. Same thing when ordering from Avery Tools. Over $1600 they charge a whole lot more. My Classic Aero interior kit came to $1675 and they soaked me for almost $250 in additional charges. When I wined about to their rep, he said the $1600 amount made the difference!
Aircraft Spruce Canada is less than an hour's drive my my home in Kitchener. They have changed their act and are MUCH better now. Call them up, confirm your order and fly down to get it. About 15 minutes in the RV..an hour in the car.
Anywho, wonder if there's a pilot/RV person in some courier business who has suggestions or ideas or wants to start a sideline aircraft parts -cross border business?

Dave C
RV-7
C-GCPD

Don't use UPS for anything except inside USA shipping

I have lost a starter because UPS didn't want to clear custom here in Chile, some other times they have extrange charges:mad:

Fedex and USPS works great for shipping things to Chile

We always try to contact our foreign customers who choose anything but USPS Priority Mail (or higher) service. It's no fun having customers who are mad when they get hit with one of the ridiculous UPS fees. UGH!

I wish UPS would knock off the stupidity! It would make it easier on everyone.

Last year I ordered something (non aviation related) off of eBay from a seller in Canada, I am in the US. The seller shipped it Purolator which ended up actually being UPS. I found this out when a bill for an additional $25 US showed up and I had no idea what it was for. I called UPS and they explained it was brokerage fees. I refused to pay it and told them to go after the person that shipped it since I didn't know about it. The person at UPS said not to worry about it and as far as I know the charge was removed.

So, even if you are in the US, be careful about something being shipped in from Canada.

Folks,

I made the mistake of not making sure that the last few items I bought on here were shipped by the USPS (United States Postal Service) DO NOT use UPS (United Parcel Service) to ship items to Canada. Because of my mistake, I was just charged an additional $125 for brokerage fees, that would never have been applied had I used USPS.

As a result of th total cost that I have now paid, I could have gone to Aircraftspruce down the road and bought these items brand new and in the box unopened.:mad:

So, learn from my mistake and go only with USPS when shipping to the cold north! Not only is it cheaper, it's faster!!!

Cheers,

Don

I'm not the shipping expert in our company but we ship a lot to Canada and I know this is a big issue for those folks.

USPS (US Postal Service) does not deliver to Canadian customers. They deliver packages to the border, and the Canadian mail service takes over from there. We have found their service to be very spotty depending where in Canada it?s going, and our customers tell us the same thing. Some are adamant that we NOT ship USPS because the Canadian mail service to their location is unreliable.

If the package is high value (ours average $500 and can be $thousands) traceability is important. There is no USPS service available to Canada that has package tracking/traceability once it crosses the border. Some Canadian customers want it shipped USPS to avoid the customs broker fee. After a week they are calling us asking for the status, and we have no way to determine that because it?s not traceable. Then if it doesn?t show up after a couple weeks the customer expects us to replace it at no charge. A few times we did that, then the original order showed up 4 or 6 weeks later, and the customer was honest enough to return it. If he wasn't honest and kept it, he would have gotten a two for one deal and we would never know what happened, we would have just eaten the loss. It?s also possible a dishonest character could game the system and report it missing even though he received it, and since we can?t trace it we can?t prove he got it so we have to send another or give a refund. I don?t know that this has ever happened, but it would be possible without package tracking ability.

So we like to ship by some method that's traceable, all the way to the destination. UPS is always traceable. UPS Ground to Canada is cheap, but they add the customs broker fee, normally about $50. The Canadian government also charges an import duty and VAT tax which UPS collects at delivery, but that is not UPS? fault. If people are being charged $125 or whatever, I suspect only $50 of that is the UPS broker fee and the rest is to fund your government. UPS Expedited and Express service are more expensive but they INCLUDE the brokerage fee so they end up netting about the same cost as UPS Ground, and they are faster (2-3 days). Typically the cost is $60-90 which, again, includes the brokerage fee. That?s how we ship most of our Canadian orders. I realize $60-90 is hard to justify for small dollar value shipments, but on the other hand traceability is not as important on small value packages so USPS is a more acceptable option for those.

I agree with some of the posts talking about surprise charges. That shouldn't happen. The shipper should explain the options to the customer, including all the costs. An order should not be shipped to a customer by a method other than the one he specified, unless he has agreed to the change.

It is not uncommon for Canadian customers to have us ship UPS to a location in the US near the border, so they can drive over and pick it up. There are even retail stores that provide this service and accept and hold these packages for a small fee. Shipping to a US hotel so an airline pilot friend can pick it up is also something we do a lot, especially for European customers.

The shipping cost per unit is less on large orders. Aeroteknic in Canada usually stocks a few of our systems. A Canadian customer could probably save some shipping cost buying from them.

Sometimes the foreign customer?s efforts to economize are a little extreme. We are sometimes asked to do things like understating the value on the customs form or creating a dummy invoice, to save the receiver some of the duties and VAT tax. We don?t think falsifying Federal customs documents is a good idea so we decline those requests even if it costs us the order. Just last week a customer in Ukraine canceled a large order because we declined to falsify the records, and to ship it via untraceable USPS.

Some Canadian customers have told us FedEx does not charge a customs broker fee, which contradicts several of the posts above. Based on these customer requests we tried FedEx for a couple months about 2 yrs ago and it was a nightmare. They did not invoice us the rates they quoted. We paid for daily pick up service, but the driver only came if it was convenient for him? about once a week he simply didn?t come because we were too far out of his way. Since we have Next Day and 2nd Day Air shipments every day, that?s a big problem. And their delivery guarantee was more like a delivery estimate. The last straw was a customer, a shop, ordered a preheat system on Friday and needed it the next morning. He paid two A&P?s overtime to come in and wait for the system so they could install it and their customer could leave on a trip. They paid a lot of money for Overnight Early AM service, and extra for Saturday delivery. It never showed up, and our customer was furious. We fired FedEx and don?t use them anymore.

The bottom line is I wanted the guys who are criticizing UPS to see another perspective. We have found them to be the most reliable option out there. Maybe not always the cheapest but they pick up here every day, very rarely fail to make the delivery date guarantee, and when they don?t it?s easy to track it. Personally, I think the days of our government run shipping service are numbered; it?s being replaced by the internet and the private package delivery companies.

There is no USPS service available to Canada that has package tracking/traceability once it crosses the border.
I think you need to go back and talk to USPS again.

I regularly get tracking info on packages sent USPS from the US to my address in Canada. I don't know exactly what USPS "method" they're using, but I get a tracking code that is usable on either the USPS or Canada Post website. Both give the same tracking info, quite progressive for the two companies to be sharing data like that.

The info about what street corner the package is standing on every two hours isn't there once it crosses the border, but I don't care about that. I get notice that it's at the border, that it's cleared foreign customs, and that it's out for delivery. Based on previous experience, I know how long it takes from the border to my door, so I know when to expect it.

I've never had a problem with USPS not getting a package to me, in 25 years of ordering stuff from the US off the internet. I have had bad experiences with both FedEx and UPS losing packages... Packages that had tracking numbers, too.

Oh, and i've had FedEx invoice me for the brokerage fee after the fact, by mail. Two months after the fact, as it turned out.

Same here..never had a problem with USPS or the Canada Post...always on time, faster, the UPS, and cheaper...I have also gotten a tracking number as well!

Cheers,

Don

By the way Bob, beautiful RV-4 you have their!

Last edited:
If you guys can tell me exactly how to ship it USPS so that there is tracking after it crosses the border, I'll have my VP of Shipping look into it. She tells me that the post office we use has no such service option available.

It could be that Canadian mail does provide limited info like "left customs" or "out for delivery", but we need proof that it was actually delivered to the receiver. And we need enough info to find it if it gets lost or misdelivered. At least once a week we get a call from someone telling us they never received their package, and when we check the UPS tracking it shows that it was delivered to the location, the time, and even shows on screen the signature of the person who received it. Maybe the shop mechanic who was waiting for it didn't know that Larry the line boy signed for it and left it in the office. Or Dad didn't know that the teenage daughter signed for it and forgot to tell him. Or the UPS guy left it with the neighbor because no one was home. We've even had cases where the UPS tracking says "Left between front doors", and the customer puts the phone down to go look and comes back and says "You're right, there it was!".

Last edited:
I have found that USPS expedited works ok, but sometimes it takes a lot longer then you would expect. I use it on those items that I am not in a hurry for.
I have had reasonable success with Fedex and it is my second choice. Sometimes you get charged brokerage and tax, sometimes you do not. Sometimes the bill for those services comes weeks later. Their charges are equivalent to a brokers charges, not bad.
USP IS MY LAST CHOICE. Their brokerage fees are outrageous and there is no option, no one to talk to. HST (VAT) tax charges are the same as every one else.
I will use UPS if the sender will put my brokers name on the package. This works well, my brokers fees are not bad on small parts, and quite good on large items. One time UPS put their sticker over my brokers name and thus charged me three times the price of the small part in brokerage fees and woudl not acknowledge their error even though the driver was there and tried to speak with management on my behalf. It is a s.......y system. There I feel better.

I had most of the extra items I needed to build my Rv-10 shipped via USPS. The delivery time was on average a day or two longer than courrier. Had one shipment running a little late and called the vendor and reading between the lines he hadn't shipped on the date he promissed. He wanted to re-ship the order and I told him to wait a couple days and sure enough it arrived. The only order to not show up were our belts. they decided to go to Great Brittan, as per the tracking. The postal service could not trace them but the tracking system showed (later after we had them traced, or rather tried to) that they tried about ten times to deliver them in GB. We were ready for final inspection early on in this tracing process so we elected to have another set shipped. We decided to use UPS this time as we wanted to get airborne. UPS contacted the vendor that the area code they provided was undeliverable. The vendor had an e-mail with all our information but I never got a true answer as to how the confusion took place. My guess was two customers information getting mixed up. I tried to find out if the first order was returned to the vendor as we never recieved them but never got a responce.
Point of this long post, I'm very pleased with the postal service the last three years since I've noticed the tracking feature at USPS/Canada Post.
Ron