flyeyes

Well Known Member
There is a bill that has been introduced by a CA congressman which has some interesting language in it:
Protect America's Wildlife Act of 2007 - Amends the Fish and Wildlife Act of 1956 to add to airborne hunting offenses a prohibition against any person shooting or attempting to shoot any bird, fish, or other animal before 3:00 a.m. following a day on which the person has traveled by aircraft other than on a regularly scheduled commercial aircraft. Increases the fine for such offenses to not more than $50,000 (currently, $5,000).

I think I understand what they're targeting here, but the way this is written is just plain dumb.

My initial reaction was that this was a troll or urban legend, but you can find the proposed rule here.

If the law is enacted as written, it would make it illegal for any of us (or our passengers) to hunt after flying. We couldn't fly to a hunting club, or even shoot a gopher on our grass runway if we had flown the same day.

Fortunately the fine can't be more than $50,000 ;-P.

The bill lists 110 cosponsors, so many RVators might have an opportunity to contact their local congresscritter to see if they can explain their thinking....

There is a bill that has been introduced by a CA congressman which has some interesting language in it:

I think I understand what they're targeting here, but the way this is written is just plain dumb.

My initial reaction was that this was a troll or urban legend, but you can find the proposed rule here.

If the law is enacted as written, it would make it illegal for any of us (or our passengers) to hunt after flying. We couldn't fly to a hunting club, or even shoot a gopher on our grass runway if we had flown the same day.

Fortunately the fine can't be more than $50,000 ;-P.

The bill lists 110 cosponsors, so many RVators might have an opportunity to contact their local congresscritter to see if they can explain their thinking....

Alaska has had similar legislation for years and life has not ended for hunters. It just gives critters a chance to move on if they've figured out what the sound of an airplane means. :)

I think it is to prevent guys landing & shooting after spotting game from the air. Says nothing about shooting from the air. :rolleyes:

Kinda agree with the rest of the guys here. Must be to prevent (hunting) pilots to use their aircraft as a scouting tool, by flying over an area to spot game and return to that area the same day to hunt. Allows a time where wildlife can move on to other areas.

Alaska has had similar legislation for years and life has not ended for hunters. It just gives critters a chance to move on if they've figured out what the sound of an airplane means. :)

That's my understanding. The Alaskan legislation is to prevent people using airplanes to spot bears.

If that's the case though, why don't they just make it illegal to use airplanes to spot bears (assuming the government can explain why that is a compelling interest)?

Is there really a problem with private pilots shooting birds or fish after landing?

This is a modification/expansion of existing legislation that makes it illegal to hunt from airplanes. I think the simplest explanation is that the author a) doesn't like hunting and b) doesn't like the idea of private aircraft.

This is just dumb lawmaking IMHO.

I think it is to prevent guys landing & shooting after spotting game from the air. Says nothing about shooting from the air. :rolleyes:

There was a time when wolves had a bounty on their hides in Alaska. I went to a museum near Wasila once and observed pictures of this guide who had mounted a 12 ga shot gun across the struts of his Cub. It did not say he ever hit anything but the gun was there to look at as were pictures of it as it was.

gophers

We couldn't fly to a hunting club, or even shoot a gopher on our grass runway if we had flown the same day.

sure you can, gophers arent listed as small game are they? ok just kidding
thanks for the heads up . this would really limit my flying..or hunting:confused:
almost all are demoncats....whoda thunk it.:rolleyes:

Last edited:
flying and shooting

Canada has legislation that makes it illegal to fly...and then go back to that same location by land and shoot what we've sited (I think it's specifies ElK and Moose). Ya , try and proove it!:p

There was a time when wolves had a bounty on their hides in Alaska. I went to a museum near Wasila once and observed pictures of this guide who had mounted a 12 ga shot gun across the struts of his Cub. It did not say he ever hit anything but the gun was there to look at as were pictures of it as it was.

When I was flying ultralights I always wanted to mount a Ruger 10/22 with a TAC Trigger "rotory tigger" It fires and fast as you can turn the handle making it like a full auto. Totally legal....on the ground that is. But it sure would be fun over an open feild to "kick up" some dirt. Actaully, I aways wanted to hunt coyotes this way. :D

Last edited:
I think the law is to protect fish outside of the ADIZ. Saw an ad about needing pilots to fly scout on Tuna and Swordfish runs out of CA. Spot the schools of fish, I guess you can see them and then radio the boats and they would round them up and you got part of the catch. $$$$$$

Pogy pilots...

I think the law is to protect fish outside of the ADIZ. Saw an ad about needing pilots to fly scout on Tuna and Swordfish runs out of CA. Spot the schools of fish, I guess you can see them and then radio the boats and they would round them up and you got part of the catch. $$$$$$

......is what they're called....and yes, they get paid to find schools and radio back. One of my Ag buddies used to do that.

Regards,

That was Don Sheldon's shotgun you were looking at. He is an Alaska bush flying ikon, and yes, he shot a lot of wolves with those strut mounted shotguns. The Don Sheldon Story

There is still a bounty on wolves in certain parts of Alaska and they are still being shot from the air in some cases.

SHELDON_GUNS-R.jpg

Antelope....

In the VAST prairies of the Texas panhandle, I flew up there some years ago to hunt Antelope with a buddy. We flew up in a Cherokee 180 and 'mapped out' our hunting spots on the way. We saw tons of game, marked them as a wayppoint on the GPS, then ventured out (on foot) the next day into darkness. While the animals were not far from our initial mark, we still had to hunt about 3-miles in to find them.

We were within the rules, but it sure was fun to actually have to hunt the game. They had a chance for sure. Except for the nice one that I got at 293-yards, confirmed :D Beautiful animal, awesome mount on my wall, and great food for the dinner table..

Now, explaining the foul smell coming out of the 180 cabin at FBO's on the trip back was a different story:D Why doesn't a Cherokee 180 baggage compartment fully accomodate a mature Antelope? :eek: