AX-O

Well Known Member
Ok, this may not be a big milestone for some of you out there but it is huge for me. It took me 165.5 hrs to finish all the metal work. The fiberglass tips will be done later. I will start working on the wing in a few days.

site1031.JPG

site1032.JPG

Congratulations!

Axel-
It is a big deal, and it looks great! Congratulations, and keep up the good work!

rivet lines?

Hi AX-O,

Great looking job on your empennage! It looks from the photos that you primed along the rivet lines along the outside... or am i mistaking what I'm seeing?
If you did prime there, do you plan to remove the primer along these rivet lines later, and re-prime the whole thing prior to painting? Did you just do this to prevent corrosion on the HS along the rivet lines while it's in storage? I've thought about doing this myself...

Thanks,

Phil

prkaye said:
Hi AX-O,

Great looking job on your empennage! It looks from the photos that you primed along the rivet lines along the outside... or am i mistaking what I'm seeing?
If you did prime there, do you plan to remove the primer along these rivet lines later, and re-prime the whole thing prior to painting? Did you just do this to prevent corrosion on the HS along the rivet lines while it's in storage? I've thought about doing this myself...

Thanks,

Phil
Phil,
I primed under every hole that required a rivet. I wanted to have primer between the rivet and the skin. This was over kill and I do not plan on doing it on my wings or fuse. Takes more time and I don't know if it really helps. I plan on removing the primer and applying a new coat on the entire surface. If you notice, my primer lines got smaller and smaller with the experience I gained from the previous piece.

Did you use a self-etching primer?
Will you have to sand it off, or will paint-thinner or something take it off?

prkaye said:
Did you use a self-etching primer?
Will you have to sand it off, or will paint-thinner or something take it off?

I used NAPA 7220 self-etching primer. I sprayed a thin coat of primer, so it should come off easily once I prep the surface for painting with the Scotch-Brite pads.

I use a similar primer (self-etching rattle-cans).

One thing that may work is nail-polish remover. I use it for wiping off sharpie writing... i accidentally got some on some primer, and the primer just dripped right off. Although that primer had only been on for a few days, so I'm not sure if it would come off so easily after a few years.

Another thing I've found is that primer removes primer!! Spray a new coat of primer over existing primer, and while it is still wet wipe with a paper towel. All the primer seems to rub off easily. Again, not sure if this would change after the primer had been there for several days.

The fact that dry primer comes off so easily with solvents is suprising to me... also a bit disconcerting!

prkaye said:
I use a similar primer (self-etching rattle-cans).
Another thing I've found is that primer removes primer!! Spray a new coat of primer over existing primer, and while it is still wet wipe with a paper towel. All the primer seems to rub off easily. Again, not sure if this would change after the primer had been there for several days.

This is because rattle-can primers typically contain acetone. When you spray it, the acetone evaporates and you're left with a dry surface. Consequently, I almost always clean up rattle-can overspray with acetone. Works very, very well.