AX-O

Well Known Member
Just wanted to pass to you some advice so you don?t waste a set of new tires. If your RV has been sitting in your ?shop? for a while and you have not moved it, you may want to do so. Both of my tires are junk now because they have flat spots. An A&P friend of mine told me that it is very bad for the bearings also.

Tires

My airplane has been on the gear for about 4 months now and every time I look at the tires I've wondered if I was going to have a molded in flat spot. I think I'll start moving it around.

Its tricky in a tight garage when there is an optimal spot for the airplane. Because without lifting the tire off the ground you will end up at the same flat spot if you want the airplane in the same spot.

I wonder if it helps to make sure the tires are inflated on the high side of the pressure range?

Michael-

Not sure about the bearings, but it may be worth a trip to the airport to try to scrounge up an old set to use until ready. Who cares if there is no tread left.

Not sure about the bearings, but it may be worth a trip to the airport to try to scrounge up an old set to use until ready. Who cares if there is no tread left.

That's how I do it - I save the real tires for first flight, and use old, worn out tires as a "roll around" set during building.

Move it often

My RV sat on his tires in the shop almost 2 years. I moved it once a month on average to avoid the problem Axel mentioned. There was a good technical reading about tires several years ago specifically addressing this I forgot the source.

Tires

Had a Scott 3200 Tailwheel , after months restoring the plane the tire was flat spotted . Jacked up the tail , put a little more air pressure than recommended and warmed it with a heat gun , round and good to go .
Tom

Tire cradle

You could build or buy a cradle for the tire to rest in. They make things like this for cars. Some of these these have wheels on the bottom to move/spin the car around in shop. These things are rounded and should prevent flat spotting.