cawmd82

Well Known Member
Seems like I read on here a while back about someone with a -7 or?? flying/based in the DR. I did not find them in search or other noodling around. Anyone have a clue?

I will be over there in 2 weeks, maybe a reason to buy someone some gas??

Met a guy at OSH

Last year... He had read our story in Sport Aviation and was trying to get Deb and I to fly over to the DR. Claimed that they had changed their attitude towards GA/private flights.

I am on my way to Sacramento right now but, should be home tomorrow night. Might have some info stashed away at home on the guy.

Regards,

I think I met the same guy at OSH last year. He flies an N registered Vari-eze in the DR. Apparently, the Dominican Republic has dropped ALL government fees related to GA flights. I guess someone finally figured out that anyone with the cash to fly his own plane to a foreign country will probably spend more money in that country for tourist purposes than than could get with user fees.

I am really hoping that the country is rewarded with increased GA travel and tourist dollars. Their success could encourage other countries in the Caribbean and Latin America to follow suit.

Last year there was a white RV whizzing around the bay in Puerto Plata - looked like a 6 or 7, taildragger for sure.

I fly longhaul and we stayed in Sosua - brothel but we have now moved !!

If you are about, I am there in early July - get in touch :D