mlwynn

Well Known Member
Hi folks,

I am about finished up with wiring and trying to sort out the right place to put a dome/map light in an RV 8. Our model has some unique issues in that regard.

I want an emergency light for if there is some sort of serious electrical failure and a way to look at a map or manual at night if necessary.

What have others used?

Regards,

Michael Wynn

I want an emergency light for if there is some sort of serious electrical failure and a way to look at a map or manual at night if necessary."

A small flashlight might work the best for that? Dave

A lip light on your mic works perfect. Is always there when you need it and hands free operation.
16i8q36.jpg

Last edited:
41zdrsPtOCL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

Here's one of dozens of similar types of cheap, lightweight, clip-on battery powered LED lights. I have a couple of these in addition to the 12v wired LED cabin lighting.

Headlamp

No wiring required. I have one that has a headband wire that automatically reels up into the light unit when not in use. Any outdoor/hiking shop will have lots of options...like red flip lenses, various light intensity, etc

Yup - headlamp is the solution I have found that works best for me in the -8. I always have a little Zippka in the map bin, and if you put it on before a night flight, it gets light where you want it. I also have a Mic Light like Ken on my helmet boom mike, but I don't fly with my helmet that often.....

My solution

My solution was to put a toggle switch inside just under the left canopy rail (on the back of the center section aft bulkhead up high). It is wired to the hot battery bus and when turned on it lights up the front and rear map lights, fwd and aft baggage comparment lights, the panel lights and the left and right console lights. That way it's easier to load/unload for night ops. Of course the headlight (miner's type) light works too, way cheaper and less complex.

The 1st pic is left console light hole and toggle. Second and third show the switch for the flood light activation.
FP17012010A00006.jpg

Here's the rear map light (comes on with flood switch on)
FP27022010A0000T.jpg

Shows the fwd and aft bagg lights (comes on with flood switch on)
FP17012010A00007.jpg

Shows the console and map lights illuminated
FP01032010A0000L.jpg

FP01032010A0000M.jpg

Dome Light Ideas

Thanks to all for your input.

The head light is a an important bit of safety equipment. I keep one in my flight bag. I really like the helmet lamp.

I was looking for something to flip on to look at a map or find something I dropped on the floor. Rick's idea for a lamp location is just what I was looking for. Great spot for it.

Brent's idea for a single switch to light up the whole interior for loading and unloading at night is one I had never considered. That really seems like a convenience for getting in and out in the dark. No reason why you couldn't have parallel lighting for some of the lamps so there is a master illumination switch and a separate one for the map light.

Thanks again.

Michael Wynn
RV 8 Wiring
San Ramon, CA

Drift

I know this is thread drift, but...another technique is to just keep your head lamp around your neck instead of stowing it after your preflight. When you get used to it, it is useful and instant bright light if you drop something. It looks dorky, but who cares--it is dark out.

When I fly nights, my head-lamp, lip light, and finger lights are essentially no-go items.