RV7Guy

Well Known Member
I am now a repeat offender having purchased Sid Lambert's 7 project. As I begin to plan this out I was thinking about what I am going to do differently from my existing 7.

There are two areas of thought, 1) Equipment and, 2) Logistics. Number one needs to be decided to make number 2 effective. I want to settle on the equipment early so I can order all the little items that are needed during the construction to eliminate or reduce delays.

This is the best place right here to learn techniques and ideas to more effectively build the planes. So, my question is simple, WHAT WOULD YOU DO DIFFERENTLY IF BUILDING AGAIN?

This includes both equipment and techniques. Let me know. I'm going to start rolling soon!!!

FYI, I've settled on a Barrett built I0 390 engine, WW prop and Advanced Flight Systems EFIS/Engine Monitor and the Vertical Power system.

Thanks in advance.

Last edited:
What would I do differently?

Probably build a -7 or -8, not sure which. The -9 rolls really nice but I would like to do more with it.

I would probably build in a cooling plenum, maybe even go with an SJ cowl.

Fuel injection might be nice on my current engine (O-290-D2) but I have to think about how easy it starts with the carb and duel P-mags EI.

I would glue the canopy in place and dump the screws.

It is probably easier to say what I did that worked out very well:
1. Affordable Panels panel w/ switch sub panel. Maybe replace toggle switches with rocker breaker-switches, hang the cost.
2. Love the Catto prop, would add the plastic shielding to the leading edges.
3. Wait until Dynon comes out with thier new screens next year. Ok, I'm a Dynon bigot.
4. Keep the duel P-mags.
5. Keep the Andair fuel valve.
6. Keep the AirGizmo and 496 w/ weather.
7. Maybe equip it for IFR (430W), and then go get my instrument rating.
8. Use the A210 radio. It wasn't available when I bought my A200.
9. Install the Garmin 330 transponder in place of the 320 I currently have because of the traffic capability.
10. Keep the Bell tailwheel.
11. Keep the DJM throttle quadrant. Love IT! Thanks Dayton!
12. Keep the manual trip. Simple and reliable.
13. See if I couldn't build one lighter than the 990 lbs the -9 came out to.
14. Rivet in the autopilot pitch servo bracket while building and run the AP wires while building rather than in the heat of July in the South when I did.

Well, I WAS fortunate to be able to do it over again and my initial thinking was along the same lines as yours. What I did differently:

#1. The single greatest aid to an easier assembly process was taking the time to cob together a fuselage rotisserie. Using it allowed much easier and far less physically tiring interior access. The ease and utility of a rotisserie naturally lends itself to suggestion number 2:

#2. Prewire everything and test as many circuits as possible before you move the project out to the airport. This includes the instrument panel, autopilot servos, strobes, lighting, pitot heat, ELT, headphone jacks, stick grips, etc. In my case, by the time I mated the wings, the bugs were worked out and only a few electrical hookups needed to be joined and the wiring was completely done.

#3. Complete all fiberglass work short of paint as you work through each kit including the intersection fairings of your choice. As I did the first time, consider attaching all the fiberglass tips...all of them with screws and nutplates. This will allow you the option to paint the individual tips later.

Last edited: