Toddav8r

I stood back to admire the nice big access hole I cut into my right fuel tank end rib. As I'm complimenting myself on how nice the fly cutter worked, and pictured in my mind's eye how well the access cover and fuel level sender would fit, it hit me. Did I??????Nooooo......I DID!!!!

I put a nice big access hole in the outboard end rib....not the inboard.

So here's the question to all the VAF pros:

Do I order a new rib, or do I make an "outboard" access plate and reinforcement ring? After all, it could be handy to have another way to get to possible fuel leaks in the future. I'm assuming it would be structurally sound if I just mimicked the inboard access plate holes/nutplates.

Whaddayathink?

Repalce it. Won't be the first, or last, piece you have to handle this way :rolleyes:

Experience speaks...

Joe

Use it on the other tank

Todd -

If you haven't built the left tank, you can use it as the left inboard bulkhead.

If you've already finished the left tank, I'd suggest a do-over.

Hang it on your "Wall of Shame" and order a new one.

I bet my wall has more stuff on it than yours does/will! ;)

Cheap to replace and would take much less of your time but if you don't mind the time involved I say go for it and have an extra access. The only problem I can see is it's another future source of leaks but there's only a hundred or so to begin with so what's one more.;)

From someone who has resealed rv tanks before... make it an access plate. Strength will not be an issue, and some poor sop may thank you in 20 years....