trib

Well Known Member
I've just installed and am currently wiring up a dynon D100. The manual says to install to a switched power supply. The power comes from the e-bus, which is controlled by the master switch. For those of you installing a dynon D100, is this what you are doing, or do you install an additional toggle switch in line?

Hmm....don't they mean just wire it to the master switch?

I have my D-10A (same equipment, different screen) wired to my master switch and haven't had any problems yet.

I don't have a Dynon, but...

It is not uncommon for an EFIS to get disturbed (after all it is a computer). The only sure way to clear it would be to turn if off and then back on.

If you have a switch for it you won't have to miss the use of the rest of you panel while doing this reset.

Kent

I've just installed and am currently wiring up a dynon D100. The manual says to install to a switched power supply. The power comes from the e-bus, which is controlled by the master switch. For those of you installing a dynon D100, is this what you are doing, or do you install an additional toggle switch in line?

Tim, maybe it's just sematics, but on traditionally-wired aircraft the e-bus should not be controlled directly by the master switch (which controls the battery contactor and the main bus). The e-bus is powered by both the main bus (via a diode) and an ebus switch or relay. Either way though, the main power to the Dynon can come from the switched bus of your choice and you don't need a switch just for the Dynon (IMHO). Hope that helps.

Thanks for the quick replies guys:). I do see your point in a separate switch being handy if you had computer issues.

Marc, I'm basically using the Z-11 layout and the master switch powers the e-bus by energizing the battery contactor. Master switch off- no power to bus. You mention the e-bus being powered from the main, but the diagram I have basically has the battery contactor supply both buses, simply teeing off the supply to the main bus. I did use the diode, just didn't mention it.

Tim,

Typically the D180 and D100/D10 EMS's are wired to master so they are powered up before, during, and immediately after engine startup.

The D100 EFIS is your call. In my case, the D100 EFIS it is on my avionics master while the D10 EMS is on the main bus. (The schematic is on my web site.)

As for a switch, I have a pullable breaker for the D100 EFIS and D10 EMS, but since the EFIS has an internal battery, it can never truly be powered all the way down, like Kent suggests. BTW, the Dynon's are some of the most reliable computing devices I have every worked with. The only time I pulled the breaker on the D100 was to see what would happen to it in flight should it loose power. (It gave me a warning on the screen and with the push of a button it switched over to internal power, as designed.)

I used a push pull curcuit breaker off the main buss and am quite satisfied. Larry

How to Power the Dynons

:) As said the dynons are computers with stand bye power so trying to turn one off is hopeless. It has a hour METER in it so use an oil pressure switch to turn the dynons on. This way they are on when the engine runs and off when it is. The more switches you can eliminate the beter.

For now mine is wired through the avionics/radio breaker switch with an in-line fuse. Seemed logical but would be interested to hear other options.
Jim Sharkey
RV6 - Finishing Up

I have both Dynons on the avionics master switch and switchbreakers that would allow me to turn off each seperately. I used switchbreakers for all the on/off equipment, push/pull on everything else. Dan

Switch Breakers

How many times have people needed to reset?

Nows the time if I need to switch from button to pull breaker before I set the panel in. Is it needed?

It is not uncommon for an EFIS to get disturbed (after all it is a computer). The only sure way to clear it would be to turn if off and then back on.

If you have a switch for it you won't have to miss the use of the rest of you panel while doing this reset.

Kent

I've been flying a Dynon since shortly after the original D-10 was introduced and have never had a need to "reboot" the unit (even when we were chasing some minor bugs in the very early versions of the software). However, since the Dynon has its own power switch it would be easy to restart the unit independently of the rest of the panel if necessary if there is no backup battery installed. I don't use the backup battery since my panel was designed to rely on the E-bus and aircraft battery for backup.

I have no avionics switch so my D-10A powers up with the master switch prior to engine start. Dynon has often stated that their device is not subject to damage from voltage fluctuations during engine starts. My experience leads me to agree.

Sam,

Thanks for the input, you've cinched the decision for me. I'll power it straight off the e-bus.

Don't Forget Test and Checkout....

My EFIS boxes are all powered from three power sources through circuit breakers that can be pulled. While I have only occasional (for test purposes) powered one off in flight, I have used the breakers to pull power from specific boxes countless times during the build-up, test and checkout. I didn't want switches AND breakers, as it would have just added weight, so pullable breakers made a whole lot of sense. (You could, of course, do the same thing with fuses if that be your choice of circuit protection....)

Paul

I'll follow Paul's comment with another... Since you're already installing a circuit protection device, likely a breaker, why not make it a Klixon 7277 series that allows you to also manually trip the breaker, thuse creating a "switch in a pinch"? There's no additional cost, no reduction in reliability, no increase in wiring complexity, no need for additional panel space when using this kind of breaker. I strongly recommend to local builders to use breakers which allow manual tripping. All of the above reasons are good ones, and I have yet to see even one good reason to use a CB that doesn't allow it to be manually tripped by the pilot. After 20+ years working in avionics/aircraft electrics, and after seeing literally hundreds of manually-tripable breakers in all the "big iron", I see this technology as about the best thing going for our class of aircraft. And these breakers really aren't that expensive, generally under $20 each, brand new.

BTW, my Dynon EFIS-D100 has never hiccuped even once in two years, and it's on for each and every engine start.

Just as an additional thought when I was going through the same process when designing my circuit I ended up ripping off ideas from Vern, Paul and others and ended up with the D120 EMS on the master so it is available at startup for engine indications (I do have the big red light off the oil pressure switch also). I have the D100 EFIS on a Master Avionics switch which controls the Ebus under normal conditions and off course with Z-11 I also have a Ebus switch which is under a flip up switch guard.
I can as a result (and have during testing) switch just the EMS or just the EFIS which is handy in order to checkout some function without having the whole system powered.