pierre smith

Well Known Member
Several weeks ago, I found a burnt fuel line as you may recall, so while I had the cowls off, I decided to buy some insulation from ACS to cover the exhaust-scorched areas of the lower cowl. I cleaned it well with denatured alcohol and Xylol mix to ensure that it stuck well.

Last week, while cruising at 8500' with an OAT of 65 deg, my oil started up to 198....199...200...and ended up at 203, without me touching anything..throttle, mixture...nothing..Hmmmm?

Thinking that it could be a bird's nest, I uncowled it today and the oil cooler was clean...no trash nor bird's nest. My helper was around the other side and the bottom cowl was still on , he asked, "what's this plastic stuff here?"

The insulation blanket's adhesive had melted and the thin layer let go, with the blanket kinda wadded up and blocking the air exit of half the opening around the exhausts!:

Insulation.jpg

This is what I removed from the lower cowl....you can see where it got burned by the hot pipes!

If you know your engine well, be very alert if ANYTHING changes for no apparent reason. I was getting a subtle 'message' and found out that the old gal does in fact "talk" to me:). My oil usually runs around 190 and CHT's around 375 and they had crept up to near 198 and 400 respectively.

Best,

glue

Pierre,

What kind of glue did you use? Maybe somebody that has had success gluing insulation in the lower cowl can tell us what to use and what not to use. I just bought some for mine and would like to do it right the first time.

You are correct about the airplane sending messages. If something is different from normal, it pays to stop and find out why.

It's self adhesive.

Pierre,

...What kind of glue did you use? Maybe somebody that has had success gluing insulation in the lower cowl can tell us what to use and what not to use. I just bought some for mine and would like to do it right the first time.

It comes with its own adhesive and you peel off a waxy coated paper. The stuff felt like I'd have to scrape it off, it was so sticky. It had a sort of cloth weave backing, purportedly to keep the cowl from getting scorched. Apparently the heat from the exhaust softens the glued coating during taxiing. I think it's a lousy product that should be pulled from the shelves.

It had been on for around 5 hours before this happened. On our -6A we used a very thin, shiny foil that was also really sticky and I sold the airplane after 500 hours and 5 years and the stuff was still completely intact.

Best,

call browns, http://www.brownaircraft.com/searchresults.asp?cat=104, get the ct-190 and the fireproof glue they have for it and your problems are done. hight temp silicone around the edges. this stuff is incredible. you will be very happy. you will plenty left over to sell on vaf to needy rvers. why acs sells such junk is beyond me.

Last edited:
[Verbing] really wierd's the language.

(original quote from Calvin and Hobbs):)

To nounerize does a treat as well. The latest thing where I work is to use "ask" as a noun in place of the words "request" or "demand." As in:

"I need at least 120 gigabits per second on this interface, that is my ask."

Brrrrrr...

I've been using

the thin aluminum sticky backed tape from Home Depot aviation isle. Works great and very cheap in aviation terms.

With any airflow going on, the convective heat transfer is very low, so the big actor is radiant heat transfer. If I remember my course work correctly, radiant heat transfer is a function of (T**4 - t**4) and the emissivity / reflectivity of the surfaces. This shiny aluminum tape has a very high reflectivity, and it's easy and cheap to keep it that way...:D