Davepar

Well Known Member
Does the stick need to clear the bottom of the panel? I don't have my elevators on and hooked up, so I can't tell if it should be possible to push the stick that far forward.

Davepar said:
Does the stick need to clear the bottom of the panel? I don't have my elevators on and hooked up, so I can't tell if it should be possible to push the stick that far forward.

I had this same question yesterday. I installed the new style Ray Allen stick grip to replace the older version, in which I managed to super glue a trim button when I installed a couple of auto-pilot switches. Thought I'd make sure the switches didn't come loose with the glue...

The new grip is longer and requires several more inches to be cut off. I have a two inch angled extention on the bottom of the panel, which the old stick cleared.

But this time, the horizontal stab and elevators are removed for painting. I ended up going by the floor cutout as the extreme guide, although it might be a hair more than needed. And I do want the sticks as long as possible, with out hitting the panel, switches, and throttle knob.

If it does hit, you'll be turned down on the inspection. Also make sure the grips are somehow screwed or bolted to the stick. While researching this same question, I came upon a fatal RV8 accident, where the glued grip slid up the stick & wedged underneath the panel.

The new Ray Allens with a 4-way hat switch for trim, and two accessory buttons, have four screws that thread into the stick.

Forward stick travel

Dave,

No. It doesn't have to clear the panel. The stick will not contact the panel after you hook everything up and have proper down travel and stops installed.

I ended up cutting 1.5" off the stick during the build before I hooked everything up for more of a comfortable feel when my hand gripped the stick however.

Jeff

I have my elevators and elevator stops installed, and the travel is per the instructions. My sticks have no grips yet, but they're uncut. The stick does not make it all the way to the panel. With my fist wrapped around the top of the stick, my knuckles don't hit the panel either.

Not just the panel, but make sure at the stick clears anything else like the throttle, etc. Also if you have buttons, make sure that your thumb will clear. If your thumb gets jammed under the panel, it will HURT.
Mel...DAR

Thanks all. The teak grips I'm using add 2-3 inches to the stick, so I already cut 2" off the top. Of course the stick just hits the bottom of the panel. I might trim off another 1/2". I'll have to sit in the cockpit again to try it out. It's good to know it's not mandatory. I kinda thought the stick wouldn't get near the panel once the elevator was connected and properly set up.

Dave