Dean Pichon

Well Known Member
I have a Garmin SL60 in my -4 and would like to add a Dynon EFIS-D10A to the panel. Does anyone have this combination, or a similar one, installed? I am trying to confirm that the Garmin output (Aviation Data Moving Map Format @9600 baud) is an acceptable input for Dynon. I have spoken with both Garmin and Dynon and received "it should work" from both, but would like confirmation before I put down $2200 for the Dynon unit.

Thanks in advance for the help.

Dean
Bolton, MA

The Gen1 Dynon units do work with the GX series GPS's.

That being said, I would say they will with the SL60.

Might want to call Dynon to be sure.

Last edited:
The D10 A works fine with no GPS at all. Providing the SL 60 has a serial output pin, the D10-A will accept any NEMA format GPS to provide a GPS heading on the HSI page. 99% of the time I just leave mine on the PFD main page that is the automatic default screen when you turn the power on.

I hope to use the D10 A as a CDI in lieu of the one on my SL60. Unfortunately, I have confirmed that the SL60 does NOT output a NEMA for GPS signal. Instead it outputs an Aviation Moving Map standard that Dynon "thinks will work"...

Thanks for the help.

The SL-60 will work fine with the D10A to drive the HSI. It doesn't output altitude, which means it won't work with SkyView, but the D10A doesn't need altitude. It has been used in the past.

I wish Dynon would offer a software upgrade to allow one to select the GPS track value to display in the mag heading space on the main PFD page.

I can't say we've been asked for this feature before. In the United States, and I assume most countries, a magnetic compass is on the minimum equipment list. Thus, if you turn off the compass, unless the aircraft has another one on board, the aircraft is not legal to fly. We put the GPS track on the compass tape so at least you can see the ground track relative to the heading.. Also, I think probably every GPS has a display of track right on the screen, so you'd be giving up something that is required in order to re-display something that is already in the plane.

Well, we're always happy to consider feature requests if enough people want them, so I'll put it on the list and if we get asked about it a few more times we'll consider it.

In the meantime, the D10A does allow you to turn of the heading tape completely if that works better for you than an inaccurate magnetic heading.

--Ian Jordan
Dynon Systems Architect

Last edited: