IowaRV9Dreamer

Well Known Member
I'm looking for some UHMW tape to put on the bottom of the slider side skirts. I have some "Teflon Anti-Chafe" tape from Spruce link here but I don't think this is what everyone else is using.

This stuff is milky white, thick, and peels off of stuff kind of easy. I was under the impression that the UHMW tape is clear and thinner, kind of like packing tape? Does Spruce sell it? I know Vans does, but I wanted to put yet another ACS order in anyway...

Thanks for any info,

This stuff is milky white, thick, and peels off of stuff kind of easy. I was under the impression that the UHMW tape is clear and thinner

Hmm - from your description, that matches the UHMW tape I'm familar with (from Vans). It is milky white (translucent) and thick. Awesome stuff - though any year now I'll need to remove the tape I put on my flaps and I'm dreading the operation.

though any year now I'll need to remove the tape I put on my flaps and I'm dreading the operation.

Hot air gun to gently warm up and soften the old adhesive helps. Just be careful not to get things too hot and cook any underlying or adjacent paint.

UHMW tape turns yellow and looks like **** in a few short years. 3M paint protection film works much, much better, won't yellow, and is removable without leaving a residue. AND removal does not require anything but your fingers. No hair dryer. No muss. No fuss.

We carry it here: PPF and other trim items

How thick?

If Stein does not have what you need you can find it at McMaster Carr

How thick a tape do we need? McMaster Carr sells 5 yard rolls but in several thicknesses:

"0.0045" thick tape has a 0.003" thick film. 0.0065" thick tape has a 0.005" thick film. 0.0115" thick tape has a 0.010" thick film. 0.0215" thick tape has a 0.02" thick film. 0.0325" thick tape has a 0.03" thick film. 0.0615" thick tape has a 0.06" thick film."

I'm looking to apply tape to my side skirts now but want the same roll to do the flaps and other places that need protection.

I'm looking to apply tape to my side skirts now but want the same roll to do the flaps and other places that need protection.

On my plane, I put the tape on the fuselage, where the canopy overlaps. I had to make decent looking cuts that don't become much noticeable when the canopy is open. The idea is for the inside of the canopy to rub over the tape, instead of the tape rubbing over finished exterior paint.

L.Adamson -- RV6A