claycookiemonster

Well Known Member
I know it matters when sitting still and the prop can match or be part of the overall paint scheme, and I know having some color change at the tips provides a nice contrast so the edge of the prop arc is clearly visible, but does the color of the main part of the prop make a difference once it's spinning? Do light colors for the main blade disappear once in motion? Do dark prop blades leave a darker prop disc to look through?

Clay

Just the back side.

Concerning looking thru the prop on the ground and in flight the color on the back is what maters, most all are flat black on the back, it disappears. The front can be any color you like.

Not 100 percent on this but I thought some type of contrasting paint on the tips was a FAA requirement.

George

I understand that a light colour on the back of the prop can induce flicker vertigo under certain light reflection / rpm combinations.

I did not believe this until I experienced it in a car, at night on the freeway between San Diego and LA. There were posts between the north and southbound lanes and I was in the left (passing) lane northbound. The oncoming headlights were flickering between the posts.

Over a period of some minutes I found that I was having more and more trouble staying in my lane. It was like the lane was getting narrower and narrower. I did not feel that I was in control of the car... Weird sensation.

I realized what was happening, moved over several lanes, at that point I wanted to go slower anyway, and the sensation went away. I was back in control of the car.

I've not experienced this in an airplane, but the phenomenon is very real. On all aircraft I've flown the back of the prop has been painted flat black.

Not 100 percent on this but I thought some type of contrasting paint on the tips was a FAA requirement.

George

Any more info on this or references? Currently just painted my prop white and would be nice to know if I need to paint the tips.
Thanks

George

Any more info on this or references? Currently just painted my prop white and would be nice to know if I need to paint the tips.
Thanks

Seems to be for pusher props in particular -

Q&A in AC 23.16

Why are pusher propellers required to have visible markings and tractor propellers are not?

Visibility of the propeller disk is of concern during ground operations. Because ground personnel and boarding and deplaning passengers are accustomed to tractor propellers, there is a significantly higher probability of inadvertent contact with a turning pusher propeller. Increased visibility of tractor propellers could also enhance ground operations safety. However, any additional visual distractions in the pilot's normal viewing area could adversely affect collision avoidance.

and another thing.....

I am a student of safety, so thought I'd comment.

back in the late 70's when working at an AMO/FBO, as part of a 50-hour, we'd always re-paint the back flat black. After wiping bugs off 100 times, the flat black is no longer flat, and starts to show up when flying away from a sunset.
the painted tips were always refreshed...the contrast between a grey prop and white tip doesn't make the best 'ring' visible.....it's better to use black and white next to each other (or black & yellow if possible).
For a time, there were theories about alternating the black bar on one tip with the white bar on the other, hoping to get a 'strobe' effect, but I think in daylight, this is a fallacy!...it really just diminishes the nice sharp 'ring' look.
Guys with something like a pusher amphib would be wise to paint both sides with conspicuous bars.

Guys with the beautiful custom striping & arcing coloured tips and nickel leading edges on certain composite props, might want to consider incorporating something more contrasting, that produces a visible arc when viewed from the front.

just sayin' YMMV, $.02 etc.

George

Thanks

Only reference was ordering a prop last year. They required the tips have a contrasting color on the front. They said it was a requirement but I have not seen a FAA rule. Perhaps it was just a rule from their attorney.

George

D'oh!

Flat Black on the back side makes perfect sense, should have thought about that. A contrasting tip color to create a ring in the arc makes sense even if not required.

I can comment on the question of prop flicker causing mental issues. My father was an MD and said that flickering/strobe lights at certain frequencies being a trigger for Epileptic seizures was discovered when an airport ramp guy (probably in the 50's or early 60's when props ruled) would always have a seizure at predictable intervals while at work. After some investigation, it turned out he was always marshalling a plane into it's parking spot with his back to the setting (or maybe rising?) sun, so as the props slowed he'd get the flicker at the right frequency and a seizure would be triggered. Another aviation contribution to science!

Clay

How about Wood Props??

This is very interesting!!!! My RV7 that I just bought has a wood prop. I have noticed that I am getting fatigued after a couple of hours of flight. I noticed this when bringing the plane home from West coast to East cost. I was planning on at least 3 hour legs before pit stops but it seems that after a couple of hours I was mentally ready to stop. I never gave it much thought other than it was a new plane to us (both pilots), we had to deal with weather so I just thought it was a little more mentally draining situation. But now that I read this post I can't help but to think this might have something to do with it... I have not had to look through a propeller in the last 13 years because I've been flying a twin Cessna and could easily go 4 hours before pit stops on long cross country trips. I just thought that the RV was a smaller plane and not as "comfortable" as the C310, but now I'm thinking that the propeller might have something to do with it. Since it's a wood prop it doesn't really "disappear" in flight so there is a lot of flickering. I wonder if anyone else that flies behind a wood prop might have any similar or different experiences. . . heck it might be that I'm just getting old :D;)

Last edited:
My new Sensenich GA prop is white with red tips and it makes an easy to see arc while running on the ground. The back sides of the blades are flat black of course, and I've never really paid much mind to looking thru it while flying so I guess it must "disappear" pretty good.

I do think that since the white and red tips on the front match the paint job on my plane that it's got to help make it a little faster ;):D

My RV-8 has a black prop with red and white stripes on the tips in front. My Mooney has a gray prop with two white stripes on the tips; the backside is flat black.