mikehoover

Well Known Member
I am about ready for first engine start here in the next several days or so. It is a YO-320-D1A with fixed pitched Sensenich prop. While installing the I was reading through Vans manual Chapter 11. I got to the Lycoming Service Instruction 1435 and read about converting from constant speed to fixed pitch. Ugh! So I am wondering if that conversion has already taken place. I would have thought that Lycoming would have dropped shipped the engine ready to go since when I ordered the prop/engine combo from Vans. The engine has the governor cover plate installed at the rear of the engine with the steel return line installed from there to the front just behind the crank flange. I guess I can remove the 1211 crank plug from the front and check to see if there is a rear plug and that it has been pierced, but is it necessary with the return line in place?

Personally I would pull the front plug and confirm that the rear plug is either removed or punctured. In the past, I've found that the engines are shipped with the rear plug in place.
Of course you will then need to replace the front plug with a new one.

You need to do as Mel says.

My IO-320 D1A, purchased through Vans, was set up for a constant speed propeller. I have a fixed pitch prop.

It is necessary per Lycoming service instructions. Remove the front crank plug and you will see that the rear plug is in place. Puncture it or remove it. Put a new plug in the front and set it per lycoming instructions. Vans has the plugs. I put a seal of high temp RTV around the outer edge of the front plug to stop possible oil seeping. The guidance is also avilable on the Lycoming web site. www.lycoming.com

Last edited:
I have a Vans purchased YO-360-A1A with a fixed pitch hanging on the front. Likewise, it's been a nagging question with me whether anything needs to be done. I live near the Lycoming plant and a few of the engineers have told me that I don't need to do anything. If I convert to constant speed in the future, other than the governor, it'll be ready to go. Am I missing anything?

Jim Diehl
RV-7A N891DD
Williamsport, Pa
FSDO Inspection next week!

I had to do this to. I also removed the uneeded prop governor from the back and installed a plate with gasket (available from ACS), and I plugged the resultant holes. Sounds worse than it really is. You may be able to sell the tube and governor.

The biggest question I had was how much to beat in the new 1211 plug! You have to deform it a bit, but not too much. There is no guidance, and I hope I did it ok! Just kind of match how the original looked, but I bent it out a bit removing it.

The front plug is MECHANICALLY seated,

You MUST seat the front plug. (after you pierce the rear plug sufficiently)

Take a look at some others... ask around... call Lyc...

Recommendation I got was a good size socket wrench,.. with good size hammer

get it seated.... trust me,.. you DON'T want it coming loose while you are learning to fly your new plane, (or later either) .. and a bit of gasket / sealer ain't gonna hold it

...The engine has the governor cover plate installed at the rear of the engine with the steel return line installed from there to the front just behind the crank flange....

With this steel governor tube installed which serves to vent the chamber in the crank, why would you need to pierce anything? Leave both plugs in place, just like the engineers at Lycoming told jdiehl.

The Lycoming service instruction assumes the governor tube port at the front of the engine is plugged. When that is the case, then definitely pierce the inner plug.

It sure was nice of Lycoming to include that governor tube so that some day you can easily convert to a CS prop.