Crossbow

Well Known Member
Hello all!

While I am still a good ways from installing the seat belts in my RV-8, but for some reason I have been thinking about them lately.

Every case that I have seen either involves the installation of new production seat belts or the installation of used production seat belts. While that is a quite logical decision, it got to thinking why it is so.

Anyway, I have been thinking that I could probably make my own seat belts. And while I am sure that my design would not be quite as elegant as the production models, I am sure that they would be satisfactory for my humble purposes.

So I am just curious, has anyone made their own seatbelts?

And if so, then could you post a few thoughts about them?

Many thanks in advance!

Steve Kimble
Charleston, WV

I'm sure you could...
I kind of prefer the idea of someone that does it as a full time pro making items like seatbelts. They know what they are doing and test their product for functionality. You'll only get to use the seatbelt once and it had better work.

FWIW - Our project came with Crow belts. They are more than we need, but a very good product and cheaper than the aviation equilivent (Hooker).

My $0.02.

I keep thinking that the seat belts in my 97 F-150 would work just fine in an RV for normal use. They are just about the same as I have in the Warrior. You would not need a crotch strap. The upper part would connect to the lower part of the roll bar. And mount the retract at the base of f-605.

NASCAR type 3" seat belts are just not needed in a structure that is not designed to crash. The first seat belt used in an aircraft was used to keep the pilot from falling out. You could use rope for that.

Last edited:
there isn't anything special about seat belts, if you have done stitching before. WV has some good climbing areas, check around a climbing shop and see if there are any local harness/ webbing sewers. I'm in central oregon and if i wanted i could stop in at metolius and ask someone if they wanted a job for a quick $100

Why? Why? Why?

Why would you mess with making seatbelts when you can buy them for next to nothing? You can get Hooker 5 point harnesses with a rotary buckle in almost any color for $350 each. And they aren't 3" webs. You can get 1 3/4" webbing like in aircraft. You can get other brands on ebay for even cheaper with less color options.

Why would you mess with making seatbelts when you can buy them for next to nothing? You can get Hooker 5 point harnesses with a rotary buckle in almost any color for $350 each. And they aren't 3" webs. You can get 1 3/4" webbing like in aircraft. You can get other brands on ebay for even cheaper with less color options.

you'd buy seatbelts off of ebay?

as for why, because it is experimental aviation! and i don't know how much the hardware would cost, but the webbing is probably 20-30$ for the whole project. You could probably save $100 pretty easy

Ebay belts

I myself would not buy off ebay. I am buying directly from Hooker. I was referencing it for you since you seem determined to save to save money on seatbelts. FYI...The seatbelts on ebay are for sale by the same companies that make them for pro motorsports. ex. CROW, which is far superior to any belt your gonna make on your Singer. So dont try and throw some sarcastic jab at me as if to imply ebay belts are worse than making your own when you haven't done your research on the belts listed on ebay. Was only trying to help.
Have a good flight.

A parachute rigger...

there isn't anything special about seat belts, if you have done stitching before. WV has some good climbing areas, check around a climbing shop and see if there are any local harness/ webbing sewers. I'm in central oregon and if i wanted i could stop in at metolius and ask someone if they wanted a job for a quick $100

...may also be a good source for high quality stitching.

Parts can come from here....

http://djassociates.thomasnet.com/category/military-hardware

If you stick with the MS hardware, it should be strong enough for our function.

Other interesting stuff...

http://djassociates.thomasnet.com/v...elt-/seat-belt-associated-hardware?&forward=1

...another parachute source...

http://www.paragear.com/templates/parachutes.asp?group=31&level=2&parent=193

Just go to the flea market on Saturday and buy some of the $3.00 belts and use them. Get the kind that are webbed they are fully adjustable. Or order them from Van's they are cheap enough. I know that you want to have a plane that you can say that you built but most of it you didn't anyway, it is just a collection of parts made by a host of other people and assembled by you.

I've been working on my own harnesses for a while, still have a couple years to get them perfected....
DSCF3192.jpg

ex. CROW, which is far superior to any belt your gonna make on your Singer.
Here's my Singer:
DSCF3191.jpg

:D

If you're planning on making your own, or as Gil suggested, having a rigger make some, Hooker uses Mil spec Type-13 webbing, for reference. I think you might have a hard time getting a rigger to make some for a competitive price though.

I myself would not buy off ebay. I am buying directly from Hooker. I was referencing it for you since you seem determined to save to save money on seatbelts. FYI...The seatbelts on ebay are for sale by the same companies that make them for pro motorsports. ex. CROW, which is far superior to any belt your gonna make on your Singer. So dont try and throw some sarcastic jab at me as if to imply ebay belts are worse than making your own when you haven't done your research on the belts listed on ebay. Was only trying to help.
Have a good flight.

It wasn't a sarcastic jab. you are saying yourself you won't buy off ebay. I don't know who is selling on ebay, but unless it is the manufacturer or a reputable retailer you have no idea where those belts have been. in the trunk of a car, next to a battery fizzing acid, left by some chlorine fumes (common bleach, pool chemicals, hot tub chemicals). wherever. it could be a very reputable brand name, but if you don't know the seller, who's to say what condition it is in or if it isn't a copy?

I would buy from 1:1 scale any day of the week, anything he sewed up and said was good to go. In fact that is where many skydivers do buy their harness. I would rather make something myself than buy off ebay.

nice photos there Kelly, i see the required red bull- did you see the thread on the WAM diesel in the rv9?

Last edited:
You could say that I made my own belts or rather I had them custom made from High End "Pacific Scientific" buckles at a local shop that makes aircraft seat belts. 12-years ago, the going retail price for a 5-point "Pacific Scientific" belt set was $400 a seat. I purchased NEW surplus buckles and had "Belt Maker, INC" fab custom belts with my buckles. My price complete came in more than what belts would have cost from Van's but had both seats done for less than the retail cost of one set new. I also have an FAA approved shop that included the TSO tag on the belt for piece of mind.

The prices above were current 12-years ago and will be more now.

Ebay belts

I should have been more clear. I would buy off ebay If I found what I needed. But for this purchase I chose to buy direct from Hooker Harness because they are making them custom for my airplane. There were plenty of belts and harnesses on ebay that are direct from the dealers who have them listed.
Actually most of the harnesses on ebay are from dealers and are brand new units and not used stuff.
I still think that some things are better left to the pros. And if I can buy professionaly made 5 point harnesses for $350 I'd rather save my time and my energy for other projects.
And if you feel like seatbelts are pointless in aircraft structures that not are made to handle crashes go here:
http://www.lancairlegacy.com/tips_harness.html
look at the pictures and read the article. Ron walked away with no injuries and was 100% sure it was because of his harnesses.

I SHOULD HAVE BEEN MORE CLEAR.......

I should have been more clear.

And if you feel like seatbelts are pointless in aircraft structures that not are made to handle crashes go here:
http://www.lancairlegacy.com/tips_harness.html
look at the pictures and read the article. Ron walked away with no injuries and was 100% sure it was because of his harnesses.

And what was said was......
"NASCAR type 3" seat belts are just not needed in a structure that is not designed to crash."

Van's 5 point seat belts will keep the body in place just as good as HOOKER 3" NASCAR type belts, with far less bulk to deal with in a confined area.

Thanks to all for the great replies to my seat belt question!

I think that when the time comes, I will try making my own seat belts and maybe I can do an RV first in the process. ;)

But seriously, I used to do some leather working and fortunately I have one of those old, foot powered, Singer sewing machines that was made for sewing leather for shoes and such.

So hopefully, with some good supplies and a bit of brain power, I can come up with something that looks good, wears good, and is very safe.

Steve Kimble
Charleston, WV

By the way, RV-8 with the Wings about one third done.

Gasman

Hey gasman,
wasn't trying to call you out on anything you said. I was just posting that link to the article for all to read. The statement about seatbelts and structures wasn't meant to single any one person's or your opinion out. Just wanted clear the air. Sorry if I gave a confrontational post.
have a good one.

Don't Rag EBay!

Two years ago I bought two (2) Lycoming O360 A1A's for $23,000.00 for both. They were reman to 0, had lasar ingnitions, full acc., new Mil. Cylinders, both were certified, had all logs. Mine runs perfect. Also bought a brand new Dual EFIS, dual AHRS Grand rapids Horizon 1 with EIS for $7,000.00 warranty was transfered. Also bought new set of Comant Towel Bars for $245.00.

Just goes to show if you watch carefully, you can get some great deals on EBay. You can also get some not so great deals. Don't ask me how I know.

Just have to be very careful. Now that I'm finished building & bidding, I thought I'd pass this along.

Hey gasman,
wasn't trying to call you out on anything you said. I was just posting that link to the article for all to read. The statement about seatbelts and structures wasn't meant to single any one person's or your opinion out. Just wanted clear the air. Sorry if I gave a confrontational post.
have a good one.

Not a problem here........;) Condition inspection almost done, and am ready for a good one..... flight. It's been two weeks due to work and I am getting the shakes. I hate this down time..............:eek:

MTC. Putting your own belts together is a great plan that I intend to do. To my way of thinking it makes as much sence to assemble your own belts as it does to build your own plane. Properly done with good materials and hardware I can (notice I didn't say I think) put a set of seat belts together that are superior to production belts. However, if Iwere to sell them I'd probably have to charge twice what production belts cost. That's what hobbies are for though.

So where can we get hardware that (AMSAFE) Van's seat belts are made of. I like them because they are lite, compact and a type of buckle that every one knows and understands....... automotive type.