aarvig

Well Known Member
Looking for a family getaway over spring break for the wife and kiddos (under 8 years old). Does anyone have a recommendation for a nice upscale family resort in an area with lots to do.

Texas is a huge place Aaron (Minnesota seems so much smaller when I go home than it was when I grew up there...) - are you looking for beach, Hill Country, western desert?

Anywhere in Houston, San Antonio, Austin, or Woodland areas. Yes, Texas is much bigger than Minisota;). Thanks for the help Paul.

We really enjoyed our vacation at Horseshoe Bay Resort near Marble Falls. It's about an hour west of Austin. Very kid friendly. Click on the Family Activities link from their home page. http://www.hsbresort.com/

Last edited:
As a former Texas resident for many years, I would have to say the Hill country around central Texas and west/northwest of Austin is my favorite area. Lots of great things to see, Marble Falls mentioned above is great, Pedernales Falls/Enchanted rock area, Lake Travis. Maybe get in the area, rent a car and see lots of the area.

Last edited:
With the exception of snow sports, you can quite literally find anything to do in Texas that there is to do. I would offer one caution though, as it pertains to beaches on the Texas coast. Don't waste your time. If you live within a half day drive of south Padre Island (this alone rules out most everyone not living in Texas) then go there, but if a nice clean sandy beach and warm water is what you have in mind, go to Florida, Mexico, or elsewhere. San Antonio is nice and the kids would enjoy Sea World and Fiesta Texas. You and the wife would probably enjoy the river walk. You mentioned the Woodlands, which is nice if you like to golf. I'm not sure what the kids would like there other than a nice resort swim pool, but March in Houston may not be swim suit weather quite yet. Many, many more options throughout Texas, but if you can give a better idea what you are looking for then we can direct you a little better. Keep in mind that Texas in March and April could be warm or quite cold.

Give me a call at 817-431-0374 or (cell) 817-913-1499 if you could use a 2br/2ba timeshare condo at Canyon Lake (between San Antonio and Austin) or Conroe (near Houston). We will not be using them this year and have banked time that can be "gifted". They are owned by Silverleaf Resorts, Inc. if you want to check them out.

Jerry Kinman

I've always enjoyed the hospitality of the King Ranch in Southlake. The proprietors, Danny and Marthajane, are always very welcoming, and they have a pool and hot tub for relaxation.

If you promise to help Danny with one of his RV projects, he's been known to haul you out to Norwest Regional (52F) to lend a hand and let you treat him to lunch at the Blue Hangar Cafe.

Just watch out for some of the characters who hang out there. They have weird names like "DR", "Scorch" and "Monkey". :D

San Antonio is a great place for the kids, Sea World is one example. They have a resort near by that has a lazy river, a water park, and a lot of kid activities.
I believe it is the Hilton resort.

Yes, the Alamo in San Antonio is still the number 1 tourist attraction in the state. But San Antonio has many kid things...yes Seaworld is awesome and Six Flags is nearby. The resort mentioned is Hyatt Hill Country and very near to both Seaworld and Six Flags.

Downtown is a restaurant called LaMargarita that has the best fajitas in the world.

THanks for all the advice everyone. Research is underway. It looks like it will be the Hyatt Hill country resort after multiple recommendations. Thanks for everyones help.

Amarillo

It may sound very strange, but the panhandle has some beautiful country. Palo Duro canyon is just south of Amarillo, and has a (or at east it did, in the '80s :rolleyes:) great broadway-type show highlighting the history of the area, along with some great Texas BBQ. Its a long way from the hillcountry, but might be worth a stop. I taught school there for 2 years and enjoyed it. Some good EAAers up that way, too.

Tx

I remember a post from fellow Rv'er about flying into a ranch and camping in covered wagons that might be a fun thing to do for a night that the kids will never forget and maybe a little horse riding while your there.
Bob

Last edited: