I am the third owner of my RV6A and the original builder and the second owner couldn't come to terms on the price so they worked out a deal minus the second SL30. The builder says that the trey and the wiring is all still there.
Can I just find an SL40 and slide it right into the old SL30 trey???A second radio would be nice.

Thanks,
Rich

I think Tom reversed the question... In fact, if you wire up a tray for an SL-30, the SL-40 will slide right in and work fine. I've done this in my HRII. There is a slight adjustment to the serial port output wiring that may be necessary if it's being used.

The reverse is not true- sliding an SL-30 into an SL-40 wired tray won't be right because of the missing VOR antenna.

Physically, both trays are identical. The SL-30 just has two extra connectors attached that are ignored by the SL-40.

Vern. Yes you are correct. I did the reverse a year ago, changing from a 40 to a 30. A 30 will likely work in a sl40 tray.

Thank you for the responses. I think I will look for a good deal on an SL40 to fill the space in my panel. The monitor feature is great on the SL30 but sometimes with a busy controller you can't hear the standby radio (for Atis).
Thanks