DMason

I'm New Here
Let me start with the disclamer that I am a first time builder with more questions than knowledge as I begin this life long dream of building a personal aircraft. I received my rv 12 kit on March 25th (builder no. 515) and am working through many firsts for me as I progress through the empanage kit. My first question is for this type of aircraft (E-LSA) what type of documentation and inspections are required either during the process or for final registration? Thank all of you for your assistance in advance.

I will let our more experienced members answer your question, but let me be one of the first to welcome you to this forum. I am sure you will become a frequent visitor, and find as I have, that it is a friendly place to get your questions answered and to share ideas.

Nothing required yet

No documentation is required during the build if intended to register as E-LSA. However, just in case you change your mind and decide to register as E-AB, the least I would do is to write the date beside each step in the plans when it is completed and also take pictures (that include you) of your progress.
Joe

. My first question is for this type of aircraft (E-LSA) what type of documentation and inspections are required either during the process or for final registration? Thank all of you for your assistance in advance.

Greetings,
Here is what I can offer:

1. If you buy all the kits from Van's and after you receive the last of the kits, you will receive a documentation packet from Van's. This will include some forms necessary to register your plane, and to receive your airworthyness certificate for the plane. This is a very nicely prepared packet and most of the forms are completed and signed as required of Van's. This is a must have for ELSA.

2. Keep a builders log. If you changed your mind for some reason and wanted to go EAB you will be prepared. There is a requirement that you built a portion of the plane, I think its 10% for ELSA, 51% for an EAB. I kept the date, time spent, and task worked on, in a spreadsheet. Its interesting to keep an hourly total - time really goes by.

3. Keep a digital camera on your work bench. Take high resolution pictures of everything, both sides of completed assemblies, etc. These pictures really come in handy later if you have a question about something, or want to help a fellow builder figure someting out. Get pictures of you in the building process as evidence that you built the plane.

4. If you have a local EAA chapter go to their meetings and meet the members. Seek out people with experience to look at your project and give you their opinions and even help you out when you need it. An EAA Tech Counselor can inspect as you go, although not required by regulation, it is a good idea if your a first time builder. I've made some really nice friends through EAA and this has further enriched the experience for me.

5. When you are near the end of your build submit your registration application to the FAA. You must have the registration card in hand for the airworthyness inspection. If you haven't already you need to contact and select an inspector to do your airworthyness inspection, either from the local FSDO, or a DAR. They will tell you everything that they want you to have for the inspection. The packet you will have received from Van's will have the key items. This packet, plus the inspector's paperwork and any items he/she requested of you prior, the fee if any, and your satisfactorily completed airplane should get you an airworthyness certificate and operating limitations.

I likely missed some details, but I think that is most of it. The FAA site goes into detail on which form numbers, etc.

I hope this helps,