I'm in the dreaming stages still, but I'm looking to see what software most are using and some recomendations. I'm not really a software person, but the program I have seen most is Kitlog Pro. Is this a pretty easy program to use?

Thanks,

Keith Rush

The program is excellent. However, since its best to save all available fundulation for the build I recommend a digital camera and a notebook. Simply document the date and time spent in the shop and on what task and take some photos (make sure you are in some of them).

I'm in the dreaming stages still, but I'm looking to see what software most are using and some recomendations. I'm not really a software person, but the program I have seen most is Kitlog Pro. Is this a pretty easy program to use?

Thanks,

Keith Rush

I used kitlog to document my build. It's not without its quirks, but it is very easy to use. Rumor has it that there is a new release that fixes the quirks, but Matt has been promising that for awhile now. I would still recommend it.

I kept hard copies of my 1400+ entries as a backup to the access databases. When I had my inspection, I plopped three five binders of build documentation in front of the FSDO inspector. He just started laughing, stating he never saw such verbose documentation. He quickly flipped through the docs and signed the temporary repairman's certificate.

I also use kitlog pro and have been very happy with it. You can export the log as a PDF to save backups or print. KitLog has it limits, but does the job well with little fuss.

I used Excel and included links to the pictures I took so the entire thing could be printed out for the FAA.

Here's a link to templates.

PRINT OUT HARD COPIES!!! That's my best advice personally. Disclaimer - I *am* a computer guy. :)

About a month back, I had a silently corrupt filesystem on the external drive I was using for backups. The drive never failed, but the filesystem chewed data into chunky applesauce. And annoyingly, the only file I could not recover was my tail build log. I am now slowly rebuilding the log as best as I can using estimates of time, and the timestamps of the pictures I took during that part of the build.

Get done with a major subsection, print out the log, if only to recover from a crash of the drive you were using to backup your computer in case of a crash (ooohh there's a mouthful).

builder blog

I keep written notes in my paper log in the shop and take pictures of noteworthy moments. No one wants hundreds of pics of me deburring holes!
Every week or two the notes and pics get moved. Notes transfer to my Excel log where I keep time and cost. Then the notes are copied to my on line Google blog (see signature).
I backup to two external hard drives. One is on my network. One is a portable off site. I too lost a drive once.
I know it sounds like a pain but really isn't. Now that I think about it, I need to scan all the receipts and the paper log will be backed up too.

PRINT OUT HARD COPIES!!! That's my best advice personally. Disclaimer - I *am* a computer guy. :)

So am I.......:D

About a month back, I had a silently corrupt filesystem on the external drive I was using for backups. The drive never failed, but the filesystem chewed data into chunky applesauce. And annoyingly, the only file I could not recover was my tail build log. I am now slowly rebuilding the log as best as I can using estimates of time, and the timestamps of the pictures I took during that part of the build.

Get done with a major subsection, print out the log, if only to recover from a crash of the drive you were using to backup your computer in case of a crash (ooohh there's a mouthful).

I deal with these issues all day long at work trying to explain why all the replicated copies of a file were corrupt. Backups only are good as to how many iterations are kept and can you restore from the last known good copy. I know, IT 101 stuff.

That's one of the reason's I like mykitlog. If you publish to the web, you at least have the web to copy and paste your data from. Knowing that at some point in time, I was going to get an inspection and asssuming that the inspector wouldn't be computer saavy, I printed hard copies. Although I did batch print them about once every quarter.

I also took weekly snapshots of the mykitlog access database and archived those as well.

What I did

Since I started my build before I owned a computer or a digital camera, I simply used the builders manual and made a dated note at the end of each time I worked on the plane in the margin of the manual. I also made dated notes on the plans..I took pictures along the way, and ended up with a nice photo album that I still add to with the plane flying and any mods I do. I had the local FSDO do my inspection/certification...I dont think they ever looked at either, even know they were laid out for them. The aircraft, and your general knowlege will tell way more than the documented logs, or at least thats the way it seemed to me. I am an AP/IA that has spent 33 years doing aircaft maintenence, and I dont skimp on documentation for anything, but for the RV-4, Im glad I just stayed "old school", and focused on building.

The program is excellent. However, since its best to save all available fundulation for the build I recommend a digital camera and a notebook. Simply document the date and time spent in the shop and on what task and take some photos (make sure you are in some of them).

+1 on the camera and notebook.