lr172

Well Known Member
I have the Ray Allen LED Trim indicator for Ele trim and have cut a hole for it on the panel. I also planned to run this into my D120 for trim indication. I just learned that I can't have both. The EFIS is not as convenient to read as the LED indicator next to the switch, but it is convenient via integration.

My question is, does anybody look at the trim indicator at any time other than setting Take Off trim position? I don't think that I ever looked at the needle on the dial on the 182.

Larry

Larry, as you do, only to preset it for take off.

I could very easily get by with a simple on/off indicator light if it would let me know when I am in the TO position.

... I do look at mine regularly in my 9-A. I look to set take-off trim, in landing on final to verify it is all in etc. I have flown my plane so much that I know exactly the indicator position for each desired speed and tend to preset that in. I have also re-engineered the travel on my trim tab, as stock, it was far to sensitive or fast, and had approximately double the desired useable travel. To me it would be more difficult flying without the indicator installed Thanks, Allan...:D

Only the elevator trim, and I use that indicator pre-takeoff to show where I cycle the trim up and down 20-30%. Oddly, mine will sometimes not function in the up direction with a load. Last year or so, I exercise it before flight. Now not an issue.

My Cherokee 140 has an old hand crank in the ceiling. Set prior to takeoff and everything else is to reduce pressure on the yoke.

I would expect the same on the RV7A I am building. Knowing I can display it in the EFIS would probably be enough for me. Will have to think about that when I get to the panel later this year.

Fly strictly by feel with the only exception a quick glance before takeoff. Interesting how I takeoff with the same pitch trim setting as landing but always center aileron trim to neutral before takeoff. Finally, I can see the pitch trim tab in my rear view mirror.

I use mine to set takeoff trim, and also look at it on final just to see how much more nose up trim there is over the takeoff trim position... I guess this is due to the need for more nose-up trim to counter the downward pitch effect of full flaps while coming down final. I also have aileron trim in my plane but haven't moved that since I first bought the plane nearly 3 years ago.

I have manual trim, so I set it by feel prior to takeoff.

After that, it is just to reduce pressure or when the Dynon SkyView tells me to trim up or down when I have the AP engaged.

Cert of Airworth

I use mine to set take-off trim. The trim indicator was a big issue with the FSDO that gave me my airworthiness certificate.

Never looked at mine and wondering why I installed it.

Gottahavitis....
It's a common disease primarily afflicting first time builders Vlad. I was stricken.

It is a good question though, and the best defense against disease.

I think this indicator thread has to do more with electric trim, not manual, as manual trim is immediately intuitive. You don't need it.
The electric trims I have used took a bit to get the feel, but then seemed easy and obvious. None had indicators, or I didn't use or know they had.:rolleyes:

I have 3 of them.. aileron, elevator and flap I located in my RV-4 panel in a center consol area. During the build, I thought they were really cool..I seldom use them in practice, and actually prefer the visiual prior to flight. I can look out and see the aileron, look back at the elevator, and I always watch my flaps while deploying in the pattern. I will eventually remove them if I need the panel space. I have all the controls on the stick including flaps.

They certainly don't need to be occupying prime real estate on your panel. It could be on a sub panel or somewhere where you can check it for takeoff.

I don't have any trim indicators. The only time I've looked at one was during unusual attitude training with a view limiting device. Used it to help determine discrepancies between the feel of the controls and the instrunemts.

RV-10

I opted to install the Ray Allen Trim indicators.
The EFIS panel is an awfully busy box and I often look at it and don't see anything, so to speak.
Don't look at the indicators much during flight but trim setting for take off varies considerably for take off with a set of rear seat passengers.
To answer your question, I do look at them before take off and set trim according to passenger loading and I do prefer the separate trim indicators.
There is plenty of panel real estate in most RVs most with modern EFIS installations.

IMG_1864.JPG

There is no trim position that I can't trim out as needed. Even on takeoff. Manual trim.

In most all cases, my landing trim is also my takeoff trim. I do use manual trim.

During my walk around, I take notice of my trim location........RV6A

There is no trim position that I can't trim out as needed. Even on takeoff. Manual trim.

In most all cases, my landing trim is also my takeoff trim. I do use manual trim.

During my walk around, I take notice of my trim location........RV6A

++1 Exactly, same here. Trim indicator is the feel in the stick.

Last edited:
I've flown with these indicators on two airplanes and they only seem to work half the time, so no, I don't pay much attention to them. Solo in the Rocket or -8 requires full nose up on landing, so no need for an indicator there - takeoff can be adjusted on the roll, so not much issue there either.

LED Trim Indicator

I installed the Ray Allen trim indicators for both aileron and elevator trim. I use the elevator trim indicator to set takeoff trim on every flight, but rarely use the aileron trim indicator. In reality, it's both personal preference, and the type of airplane that dictates how much you use trim indicators. I check takeoff trim with the trim indicator before each takeoff, even though I can see the tab when doing the flight control checks. With two people in the RV-8, I bias it a bit forward. After each landing, I use the trim indicator to see if I have properly trimmed for approach and landing. I had the trim runaway full down once, and could see it on the gauge, although the stick said everything I needed to know.

With some airplanes, all you need to do is push a button until the green light comes, or run the trim until the green light comes on. Inflight, stick forces and stick position tell you everything you need to know. On others, with large CG ranges, pitch trim is critical and you need to know the exact setting - a gauge is absolutely necessary.

Trim indications can be on the EFIS or mounted separately - that's just personal choice.

I have trim indicators on my EFIS, but don't use them. I will visually inspect the elevator trim during preflight, but it's usually were it needs to 99% of the time.

No

I use a slow 4 count for initial flap extension on approach, and look out the window for all other settings. I have flap indicators dialed in on EFIS but barely ever reference them.

I have flap and elevator trim indicators.

Like others have said I only look at the trim indicator to get ot sort of where it needs to be prior to takeoff. On occasion I have forgot it is a non-factor and is quickly remedied on climbout.

Frankly if doing it again I"d probably just leave them out or perhaps rig a single led or something to indicate the neutral position.

I have a trim indicator on my -9A and will have it on my -4.
I used to not look at it since a day I nearly thaught I was close to death after take-off because pitch control seemed to be stuck. It was not stuck, but very hard, as I understood after a while. What happened was that after having turned on the battery (which activates the trim), I pushed the trim control (on the stick grip) with a notebook where I transcribe the flight time. I did not realize that the trim was working, because I already swtiched on the Zulu headsets.
So I took off with the trim for a all down attitude.
From there, I usually give a very quick look at the trim indicator just before T/O.
Not saying it is necessary. But maybe it is worth to install it, since its weight is ridiculous.

Camillo if you are installing it please take into consideration it's very bright at night. To dim it would be a great idea.

Manual trim

I put manual elevator trim in my 6a. I cut a little groove in the trim cable shaft at the neutral position (where it exits the friction lock) and filled it with red paint. I only use it to set trim to neutral before taking off. John

No trim indicator

Electric trim and I have learned to set it before takeoff to neutral. Always land with lots of nose down trim for some reason and when I touch and go I add a 8 count of nose up trim before adding power.

Yes you can trim by feel while in the pattern. But in the RV-8 take off trim varies considerably depending on widely variing cg from passenger/ no passenger weight, and front and rear baggage compartment loading. I use my elevator trim indicator, but see much less need for aileron trim indicator. Although, for less than an ounce additional weight, I'll keep it.

Had an experience similar to Camillo, during a long backtrack I inadvertently activated the elevator trim. During my final scan before adding full power to take off I noticed the trim inidicator (on my VP200). Adjusted before takeoff and all was well - but was glad for the indicator. Don't normally look at it during flight.

I have removed the aileron trim servo, never used it.

During my final scan before adding full power to take off I noticed the trim inidicator (on my VP200). Adjusted before takeoff and all was well - but was glad for the indicator. Don't normally look at it during flight.

I have trim indicator by the flap switch just above the throttle. Always gets a quick look before take-off and when turning final. Helped me a couple times during touch and gos. Yes I trim by feel during cruise but the trim indicator is a cheap, light, double check for take-offs and landings.

I have the trim indicator wires wired to my MGL Odyssey G2 EFIS, but trim position isn't on the screens by default. I haven't gotten around to editing the screens.

Before takeoff, I pull back on the stick, look over my shoulder, and set the trim tab to neutral. Otherwise I adjust trim to relieve pressure on the stick like I was taught in flight school.

That said, I'd like to display aileron trim position, because other than feel, I have no idea what the trim position spread for straight/level roll is, and thus have no way to set it for takeoff.

I'm using them

I have installed both elevator and trim indicators and I'm glad I did.

I use the elevator trim indicator to set the trim for t/o and glance at it occasionally during flight when trimming the elevator. It's nice to confirm that the trim is within the correct range.

I use the aileron trim indicator to balance the fuel.
My goal is to balance the fuel so that the aileron trim is neutral.
When flying solo on a side-by-side RV, this is very useful to me.

Even when two persons is onboard, and they have different weights, it's very useful to balance the fuel so that the aileron trim indicator is neutral.

I have wired the indicators to the position lights so that they go dim when turning on the pos lights (I only use the pos lights in darkness and low light situations)

My 2 cents....

Thanks for all of the feedback here, it was very helpfull. I am going to leave out the LED trim indicator and go with the EMS-based indicator.

Thanks,

Larry