RVG8tor

Well Known Member
If you are flying with the Grove nose wheel what are you using for a tube. I ordered some from Desser only to find that the valve stem is off center like the Van's tube. Do they work this way, did you modify your Grove wheel to account to the offset?

I saw the Grove rep at Sun N Fun and they basically said to open the hole up in the direction it needs to go for the offset valve stem. I am reluctant to try this, there must be someone in the world that makes a tube this size with the valve stem centered. If you have a source for the correct tube or you modified you wheel please post here.

Cheers

I have the Grove nose wheel. I use a Desser tire and the tube supplied
by Van's. No issues.

Same here

My Vans tube worked fine in the grove wheel. (recently assembled, not flying)
It was from 2010 finish kit.

Edit and recant:
For some reason, Vans sent me a second nose tube so I looked at it closer after reading Gasmans post below. Sure enough, the valve is a bit off center. I have to take the wheel apart to grease the bearings (didn't have grease the first day and I had to do SOMETHING :)). I'll take a closer look at how the valve is fitting and make a decision on whether to make a change or not.

Last edited:
Are you flying with the Van's tube

For those that have replied, I too have the nose wheel, tire and tube mounted but since the valve stem is off center my fear is that overtime this could be a point of failure. Are all of you flying with the off center tube and no modification to the Grove wheel?

I would be curious if you have seen any ware on the side of the valve stem, anyone notice this when changing to a new tire? Thanks I am just trying to get comfortable with a tire tube combination that does not fit perfectly.

Mike

Last edited:
Wheel reworked

Hello Mike

After no response from Grove and other information from Steve at Desser about the tube, we deceidet to rework one wheel and collect more datas. Here are a few pictures of the reworked Grove wheel. We just rotated the halves and started on a fresh place.

Wheel_1.jpg

Interesting to see the tube center seam mark on the wheel after it was mounted and under pressure for about 3 month.

Wheel_2.jpg

I tryed on a tube inflated in a tire where the position should be exactly. It is only an estimate, but I think we got it really accurate.
I have the mesurements and will adjust it minimal, on an aditional wheel, when we feel confortable with the change. I hope my buddy will fly for the first time soon and we can build up hours.

Wheel_3.jpg

There is not anymore a tear and squeeze on the valve stem.

We still have to cover the existing hole with a plug. Not sure jet how to do it, maybe molded rubber or a PTFE (teflon) plug.
I would recomend balancing after the wheel is ready to install.

I will do more picture when we rework the other wheels of my buddys and also mine, depending on the results we get. Also then I will place the mesurement about the new opening here.

Just our 2 cent! THIS IS STILL UNTESTED, BE CAREFULL WHAT YOU DO!
Regards Dominik

Last edited:
obviously you must have put the new hole 180degrees from the original. Now what did you do with the old hole, nothing, or seal it up.

Hello,

120°, the wheel has 3 screws, so it is not possible to do it 180° to the original position. Take a wheel apart and look at it inside.

We still have to cover the existing hole with a plug. Not sure yet how to do it, maybe molded rubber or a PTFE (teflon) plug.

Due to the fact that the opening is now only on one side, it it possible to have one big, round hole to plug, or two halfmoon holes, this would for sure "spread" the out of balance a bit. As recomended, balance before install.

Dominik

so you are saying you kept one hole and elongated it and than rotated the one half to the next set of holes and now have the other half hole in another position.

The way I see it is Grove is using their standard 5X5 main wheel for a nose wheel. If you use a main tire and tube on this wheel, the tube would fit the proper way. That tube has the stem mounted in the center. The LAMB tube stem is off center by 20 degrees. Even when you move the stem hole to one side of the rim, the stem will be twisted up by 20 degrees to point out of the rim and be 90 degrees to the tire.

This is still better than mounting the tube with the stem in the center of the rim. At the price that GROVE CHARGES you would think that they would drill offset for the tube that we need to use with this size tire.

As far as balance........ It is not needed no matter how you fill that 1/2 hole.

The way I see it is Grove is using their standard 5X5 main wheel for a nose wheel. If you use a main tire and tube on this wheel, the tube would fit the proper way.

What prevents one from using the standard 5x5 tube that fits the wheel with the Vans tire? Is the tube too big (outer circumference) for the tire?

What prevents one from using the standard 5x5 tube that fits the wheel with the Vans tire? Is the tube too big (outer circumference) for the tire?

Before I posted, I got out a new main tube to see where the stem is located. The tube is way too big to use on the nose. But the stem is a good fit in the Grove wheel................;)

new grove nosewheel is available

FYI for the group - I spoke to Grove. They are excellent people. They have a new nosewheel that you can buy if you want an elongated hole to better fit the offset valve stem in the tube. The part number is 59-4M-RV (the one with the centered hole is 59-2M-RV). This is a special wheel just for RVs; the -2M wheel has certified or other applications.

I spoke to them about modifying a -2M wheel and they stated that it is no problem. Their engineer recommended moving the hole 3/8" over in one side of the wheel (rather than making an entirely new hole). They also suggested puttting some epoxy paint on the reworked area.

I am very happy with Grove and their support. They share information freely and sent me some parts at no charge. Great!

Their engineer recommended moving the hole 3/8" over in one side of the wheel (rather than making an entirely new hole).

Am I understanding this right? Just elongate the original hole 3/8" to one side?:confused:
Is the larger hole going to let the tube bulge out a little.:eek:
It sure sounds better than making a new hole.
Thanks for investigating this Dave. ;) Been wondering what I was going to do about it.

Am I understanding this right? Just elongate the original hole 3/8" to one side?:confused:
Yep - that is what I got from talking to them today.
Is the larger hole going to let the tube bulge out a little.:eek: It sure sounds better than making a new hole.
I asked that exact question and they said it would be no problem.

We had a big discussion on the phone. They think (and I agree) that the root cause of many problems in the single source / low quality of the available tube. I'm going to replace the tube (and maybe even the tire) at every annual.

Grove Nosewheel

I've been flying with the Grove nosewheel since shortly after it was introduced. Two of us at my airport changed at the same time and use the tire & tube from Van's, absolutely no issues.

Offset stem is working y/n

I've been flying with the Grove nose wheel since shortly after it was introduced. Two of us at my airport changed at the same time and use the tire & tube from Van's, absolutely no issues.

I know this is an old post, I just want to be sure of something. The Vans tube works fine, is the stem in the center of the tube. The Desser tube for the Grove nose wheel has the tube stem attached to the tube just offset from center. I am not flying yet and installed the Desser tube but my guess is there is considerable side load on the stem.

With all the Grove nose wheels out there I wonder who folks make this work. I am trying to decide if I should modify my Grove nose wheel.

Thanks