Special Delivery

Well Known Member
Probably gonna cost me a bunch of beer, but here?s a recent ?hangar talk? question for the DARs out there. From my limited knowledge and experience, it's my understanding that an electronic compass meets the ?required equipment? for the issuance of an Exp A/W Certificate. If my understanding for the compass is correct, wouldn?t a fuel computer (no sensors in tanks) also meet ?required equipment? for the issuance of an Exp A/W Certificate? What ya think?

My logic says no. How a compass works really isnt an issue as long as it gives the proper heading. Measuring fuel flow is different that measuring how much fuel is in a tank. A fuel flow meter will only tell you how much fuel is going through the lines...not whats in the tank or if it is leaking. Just because you put 20 gallons in a tank, you can't assume it will get to the motor. Lines leak, drain cocks stick, fuel gets siphoned out of tanks, etc.

The Pitts S2B and C are certified with a fuel flow/totalizer. I do like a tank gauge though just to crosscheck. Don

Good feeling: Knowing beyond doubt how much fuel you have because it's verified by independent means, and that it's more than enough.

Uneasy feeling: Unsure exactly how much fuel you have because it is calculated and could be wrong. Not positive you have enough.

Horrible feeling: The sight of the fuel pressure gauge dropping, the engine winding down, disbelief, this is it. You ran out of fuel. Happens all the time, even to the best of them.

http://www.ntsb.gov/ntsb/brief.asp?ev_id=20001214X43956&key=1

Point of reference

Probably gonna cost me a bunch of beer, but here?s a recent ?hangar talk? question for the DARs out there. From my limited knowledge and experience, it's my understanding that an electronic compass meets the ?required equipment? for the issuance of an Exp A/W Certificate. If my understanding for the compass is correct, wouldn?t a fuel computer (no sensors in tanks) also meet ?required equipment? for the issuance of an Exp A/W Certificate? What ya think?

With transport category airplanes (at least at my airline), we can only go with an inop fuel tank gauge if 1) The fuel quantity in the tank has been verified prior to departure (via magnetic dripstick) and 2) The fuel flow and fuel used meters are operative.

If you positively know how much you have before start and you know how much you've used, that's good enough in the airline world -- but only for a few days. Building a plane without tank quantity sensors, even crappy resistive ones, is a bad idea IMHO. It removes a level of redundancy.

That said, some transport category airplanes that are all glass (including backup instruments) still have a wet compass. That's pretty stupid, again IMHO.

Read FAR 91.205.
http://www.risingup.com/fars/info/part91-205-FAR.shtml

The title has your answer.
Powered civil aircraft with standard category U.S. airworthiness certificates: Instrument and equipment requirements.

FAR 91.205 applies to amateur built experimental if the operating limitations allows night or IFR operations. The AB aircraft must meet the requirements of 91.205 for Night and IFR operations. Day VFR operation requires NOTHING in accordance with 91.205 unless the Operating Limitations say other wise.

Fuel computer would NOT meet the requirements for Night and or IFR operations as the regulations state "in each tank". We are talking about RVs here. Most RVs have two tanks. (early RV-3s had one header tank)

Gary:
Take a look at 91.205 again. Section "b" is specific to daytime VFR. Sections "c" and "d" are for VFR night and IFR respectively.
Terry

Gary:
Take a look at 91.205 again. Section "b" is specific to daytime VFR. Sections "c" and "d" are for VFR night and IFR respectively.
Terry

Yes, but 91.205 doesn't apply to experimentals day vfr, as Gary said, unless someone specifically puts it in the limitations. Don't need nuthin.