snoopyflys

Well Known Member
Now that I have started putting together my empennage, a question came to mind. Do I need to have periodic build inspections performed by a inspector throughout the project? Or just have someone look at what I have done and say "yup looks good to me!" I know the airplane has to be inspected by the FAA before it get certificated but I started wondering out of fear of having to disassemble components for inspection. Any words of advice to this newbie builder would be appreciated.

I was under the impression that you dont have to.. but it'd be a good idea to anyways just to have an experienced set of eyes look at your work while it is easily accessible. Your local EAA chapter should have some tech counselors that can do this for you as well as get you out of sticky situations! Im sure others will chime in with more accurate info. Good luck.

Do it

We had an inspection before closing the tail section up completely and then another when we were ready to put the final skins on the wings. Each inspection went well with some suggestions from the inspectors. We had a different inspector each time and each see things different. The inspections are "free" (might offer to buy lunch) and you get a written report of the inspection. When it comes time to get final certification, the final will go much smoother if you can show you had periodical inspections.

We are currently doing the plumbing and will have it looked out before we put the final skin on the fuse and flip it on to the landing gear for the last time.

My 2 cents ...

Do I need to have periodic build inspections performed by a inspector throughout the project? Or just have someone look at what I have done and say "yup looks good to me!"

Actually you need neither.
Unless looking at your need requires it.:confused: Your need would be too complicated to go through here.

You certainly are not required to have either....which is what Im guessing you meant to ask.

When I had my inspection, my DAR never asked the first question whether a tech counselor had looked at my airplane. Required, Nope, looked at during inspection, nah, mine wasn't, but YMMV, good to do, can only help if you feel the need.....oh, that need thing again.

Last edited:
Dan, they are not required.

They may not even be recommended, if you feel that you are doing as good a job building as possible.
I asked an EAA tech counselor to check my work after my tail was done, before I closed out the wings, and twice during installation of the engine.
My work got better the more building experience that I acquired and I learned a lot from the inspections.

Kent

Not required, but suggested...

...by the FAA.

Check out AC 20-27F....

http://www.airweb.faa.gov/Regulatory_and_Guidance_Library/rgAdvisoryCircular.nsf/0/0ca2845e2aafffbb86256dbf00640cb2/$FILE/AC20-27F.pdf

The following are extracts...
Page 9

(2) The FAA inspector cannot be involved in the building process and will not perform any progressive or in-process inspections during the building process. You should ask a knowledgeable person (for example, an EAA Technical Counselor) to conduct in-process inspections. You should record any such inspections in the aircraft logbook.

Page 10

c. Paperwork Review.

We will review the following information as part of our inspection.
(1) Evidence of inspections, such as construction log entries signed by the amateur builder or other knowledgeable persons (for example, certified mechanics or other builders) or EAA Technical Counselors visit report cards describing any inspections conducted during the construction. Those entries should indicate what was inspected and by whom, and the date of the inspection. Include photographs documenting construction details, if available

A good review of the AC document would probably be worthwhile...

gil A

you only need in process inspections if: you are not sure of what you are doing. you are safety concious and want a second opinion on your work. you are flying the airplane, dah you want another person to look at it. I'm doing very good work but I want a second opinion, just so I know it's good to go. As far as the FAA, no you don't need it, you just finish the airplane and call the FAA for an inspect, or a DAR, than go fly it.

I have seen so many little things get overlooked over the years (even by A&P's and IA's), that I have come to believe there's only one thing that will suffice for my comfort that things are done right...and that's a second set of eyeballs. The more experience the better, the more looks the better. ymmv

Required?...No...

Recommended?...STRONGLY!!!
I DO ask to see evidence of periodic inspections. I don't care how conscientious or experienced you are, it is very easy to overlook things when you are close to a project.
If I come out to do a certification inspection and you show me evidence that you had periodic inspections, I'm going to feel much better about you project and your attitude. If you have the attitude that you don't need these inspections, then I'm getting uncomfortable already.
With EAA tech cnslrs doing these inspections for free, there's absolutely no reason not to take advantage of them.
And as someone already said, try to get several different people to inspect. Different eyes see different things.
Even us tech cnslrs get these inspections from others.

221422 said:
you only need in process inspections if: you are not sure of what you are doing.

Some of the worst workmanship I have seen on RV's was done by builders who new exactly what they were doing, and they told many other builders how they should be doing it...:rolleyes:

I digress...

In the past it was possible to get a slight discount on insurance if you had had three tech. councilor inspections during construction. I don't know if that is still the case or not.

It is still highly advised for any builder to have other eyes look at there work if they are beginners.

Recommended?...STRONGLY!!!
My insurance company (Falcon) gave me a discount for using the EAA Tech Counselors and First Flight Advisors.

Thus, even though they are not required, they are highly recommended.

Good Advice...

Thanks replies. I knew the VAF would come through. Mel and the other EAA Tech cnslrs responded the way I expected. While I am pretty handy with tools, this is my first project that I will actually be putting my life into once it leaves the ground. With that, I plan to contact my local EAA Chapter about a Tech(s) that would be available for inspecting my work periodically. Definitely rather be safe than sorry.

Hey Dan, if you don't find someone out in Katy, drop me a PM - I am in Friendswood, and might be able to drop by sometime.

Paul

Here in Norway, iinspections by an approved inspector is mandatory. He signs off the work, typically before closing of surfaces etc. Tat document will follow the aircraft throughout it's life. These inspections serves many purposes, as explained in this thread. Another point is resale value. The right person would gladly pay 50% more for an airplane with proper in-process QA .