danielhv

Well Known Member
I called a company here in Irving, looking for some chucking tapered reamers... #30 and #40. He said he has both, $1.40 each. They are only about 3" long which I can see could be a problem in some areas, but should be ok for skins... am I missing something here? Avery has them @ $10/pc. :confused:

A chucking reamer isn't tapered, hence why you have to chuck them in a lathe, mill, drill press, etc. A hand reamer is tapered. So be sure you're comparing apples to apples. Hand reamers are more expensive.

A chucking reamer isn't tapered, hence why you have to chuck them in a lathe, mill, drill press, etc. A hand reamer is tapered. So be sure you're comparing apples to apples. Hand reamers are more expensive.

Oh, didnt know that... but I specifically asked him if they are "chucking, as in you can put them in a drill" and he said yes...

So if, lets say a #40 reamer isnt tapered at the end, how does it fit in the pre-punched holes? Isn't a reamer used to open the holes up to the correct size? Forgive my ignorance, I've been using drill bits so far, but want to switch to reamers... :eek:

There is....

Oh, didnt know that... but I specifically asked him if they are "chucking, as in you can put them in a drill" and he said yes...

So if, lets say a #40 reamer isnt tapered at the end, how does it fit in the pre-punched holes? Isn't a reamer used to open the holes up to the correct size? Forgive my ignorance, I've been using drill bits so far, but want to switch to reamers... :eek:

...a little taper on the very end, similar to a drill bit. It does not have any cutting function, but centers the reamer in the hole quite nicely. You will
love using the things. They don't seem to go through the pre-punched holes quite as fast as a drill bit. However, they don't chew it up as bad either. I was worried about the durability of them, so I bought 1 #30 and 1 #40 from Avery just to try them. I have done probably 1000 holes and they still work like they did new. Another plus, if you miss hitting the hole with it, it won't drill a new lightening hole in your project:D

Last edited: