lbgjb

anyone have a slick way to attach something to your nose faring to prevent FBO from towing plane on a RON?? larry

Yes, for that reason I have no holes in my RV7A's nose wheel pant. I do not use a tow bar and have managed just fine to move my RV in and out of the hangar or on the ramp. It takes a little practice to push the thing backwards as the nose wheel tends to break out to the side if you do not push straight.
BTW. I only weigh 170 and am 64 years old.

Martin Sutter
building and flying RV's since 1988

No problem

Yet another advantage of the tailwheel. All they have ever told me at the big FBOs is that they can't tow my airplane. It was moved once, at Flagstaff, and I wasn't too happy. I assume they hand pushed it.

anyone have a slick way to attach something to your nose faring to prevent FBO from towing plane on a RON?? larry
Negative but I ALWAYS TELL the FBO that I do not want my plane towed followed by "Where can I tie down and be out of the way?" Never-been-towed-Rosie :D

I got an "attempted" tow at Latrobe, PA. They put the big fork from their tug into the holes in my nosewheel pant. Cracked the paint surrounding the hole. I wasn't pleased.

towed

I got weathered in at Mc Cook NE, some years ago. Had to leave the plane for a week. They towed my rv-4 non swivel tail wheel by hooking a chain to the spring and dragging it into a hanger. I was really torqued off until they told me how big the hail was that afternoon. I had a little paint touch up and a flat spot on the wheel to fix but much better than hail damage.

C Murphy

Enlarge the holes

I knew it was going to happen.

I enlarged the holes for a tow bar to about 1-1/2" and haven't had a problem. Although not what I really wanted to do, but it has prevented damage to the wheel pants.

When I fly to visit my folks, the airports I have to use depending on the time of year guarantee me that I will get moved by the ground crew (APF or LEX).

if you can find a way to put your own hand tow bar on and pad lock it so it can't be removed. Serves a double purpose. prevents fbo from moving with a tug and secondly, acts like a theft deterent. can't fly like that.

Jay

Here is a link to my towing story on the Matronics forum. (with photo's)
I will be making my tow holes a bit bigger and fitting some plastic or metal plugs to help discourage towing while I am not around. Perhaps a "Do Not Tow" sign on my cowling plugs would be a good idea as well. This broke my heart on our maiden voyage. Good thing my wife was not around to "speak" with the line boy when this was discovered.:mad:

http://forums.matronics.com/viewtopic.php?p=227598#227598

Here is a link to my towing story on the Matronics forum. (with photo's)
I will be making my tow holes a bit bigger and fitting some plastic or metal plugs to help discourage towing while I am not around. Perhaps a "Do Not Tow" sign on my cowling plugs would be a good idea as well. This broke my heart on our maiden voyage. Good thing my wife was not around to "speak" with the line boy when this was discovered.:mad:

http://forums.matronics.com/viewtopic.php?p=227598#227598

Wow!!!....David, you have much more self-control than me!:eek: